Chapter 12 - The Truth Again

Right after Brittany says that the other girls are just bitter, Suzie decides it's a good idea to talk.

Her soft, kind voice suddenly sounds like nails against a chalkboard to me. Funny how our perception of people can change just based off of how pissed off we are at them.

"We're not bitter by any means," Suzie says gently. "I just think it's funny how she keeps following Axel around like he wants her when everyone knows he's with Juliet."

My eyes widen. The redhead?

Suzie turns to me as if I had just suddenly appeared out of thin air. She mock gasps and covers her mouth, barely containing her laughter with the other girls. "Oops." She turns and whispers very loudly to the others, "Why didn't you guys tell me she was there?"

She knew I was listening the whole time. They all did. I wish she would just cut it out already and be frank with me. That's what hurts the most when it come to her. If she'd just said, "Hey, I like Carson. I'd prefer if you wouldn't pursue anything with him," it would've been fine. Instead she decided to try to manipulate me, talk behind my back, blatantly disrespect me, and now make fun of me for no reason all while pretending to be my friend. I didn't do anything to her.

I just stare at her. My hand my my side, clutching my phone.

"Well it's true," she says. "They're together right now. Go see for yourself." She saunters over to the opening of the kitchen and looks out into the living area.

I feel my phone buzz in my hand. It's probably Michael or Mom checking on me. I just have to call them or even just text them. They'll come get me. This can all be over. I can do the logical thing because whether Suzie is right or wrong, there's probably nothing good happening in that living room for me to see.

Am I a logical person?

Haven't we already established the answer to that?

I walk over because dammit I've gotta see. Who wouldn't?

Why do people have to stare at car wrecks and plane crashes? Why do people watch horror films and gory, torture scenes? We're compelled to of course. We can't look away from those stuff the same way I can't not look at this. I have to look.

I slowly trail behind Suzie and sure enough, her redheaded friend is all over Axel "calming him down." The second her eyes connect with mine, she goes to kiss him and I look away.

"Op," Suzie says a little too entertained. "There, I told you. I said not to get your hopes up. There's why."

Brittany scoffs. "Yeah, your friend forcing herself on him was definitely proof enough. Proof of how disgusting you people can be."

"E-xact-ly," Krys claps her hands, drawing the syllables out with her high pitched, preppy voice. "What do you want, brownie points for sexual harassment?"

"Sexual harassment?" The group cries out like it's the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard.

Brittany takes a pretty violent step towards the girls.

Everyone flinches back.

Brittany narrows her eyes. "You and I and everyone else in this fucking kitchen just heard how he shoved her ass off so there you go. He doesn't want her anymore than the rest of you, and quite frankly, if he was a girl and she was a guy, you'd all be pissed."

"So you think he wants this ugly bitch?" someone in the crowd cries.

They start ganging up on me. I take a step back towards the living room.

Krys is like, "I know your crooked-ass eyebrowed self is not talking."

More yelling ensues and instantly I know how to solve the problem. Getting the hell out of there, out of this whole house, out of this party I should've never come to. I rush out of the kitchen and through the living room as best as I can through the slightly calmer crowd.