Chapter 13 - Streaking

I close the door, leaving the three outside gawking, desperately trying to explain themselves.

Michael stands beside me with his eyebrows in his hairline. "Do I need to call the police?" His eyes are so wide. I think he might go outside and jump them.

I stand in front of the door, not ready to lose a brother. They'll eat him alive for sure. In fact, I grab his arm and start walking towards the stairs. "Where's Mom? Where's everyone?"

He stops dead in his tracks. "Don't change the subject. What's going on?"

I look into his eyes. I look back at the door. They can probably break it down if they wanted to. It's not safe. Should I tell him that? Can he handle the truth? He is the one who first suspected it all.

I rub my forehead and sigh. I don't even have the mental energy to consider this right now. I just need to get us upstairs. "It's nothing. Some people at the party were just talking shit about me."

His expression falls. "Mia—"

"Can we go upstairs? Please." I look towards the kitchen. I don't see any lights. "Is everyone up there?"

He nods. "But I think they're sleeping. Do you want to talk down here?"

"No, no." My eyes dart towards the back door. "Let's go to your room or something."

We walk upstairs. I all but drag him up. He pats my shoulders sympathetically. I keep watching the front door until I can't anymore. What if they try the back door? Or Jacob-style through the windows? I consider locking everyone's rooms, but then I remember my success with unlocking the front door. That would successfully trap them with anything else in there with them, and we wouldn't be able to go in and save them. I don't want them to be trapped in a room with man-eating shapeshifters.

Do werewolves even eat people? Or do they just change them?

"Come on." Michael opens his door for me to walk through. "You can tell me what happened."

I stare in horror. I didn't think this through. I can't leave my family defenseless. I have to tell him. We have to leave this place! Right this second. I fight the urge to start packing, or worse, to not pack at all. To not try to get away.

I feel crazy, but it's just like in all those teen movies and novels. I always wonder why the girls freak out when they find out about the fantasy creatures. Isn't that cool? I think. Isn't that a dream come true? Who wouldn't want a werewolf to love them?

Those are the thoughts that would always course through my mind, but not now. All I can think is we've gotta get the hell out of this town before they kill us. For some reason I don't think a peaceful love story is what's on their agenda. We're dinner, that's for sure. Maybe not me, as I saw outside, but Michael. Charlie! What if they're like lions that hate other men.

My Dad!

Michael sighs, shaking my arm a little. "Was it that bad?"

"Huh?" I look up at him.

"What they said?" he gives me a strange look. "At the party?"

"Oh, yeah." I nod. "It was pretty bad." I laugh nervously.

He waits for me to elaborate.

I shake my head. "I don't want to relive it right now."

"Okay, I won't make you." He gives me another strange look. His eyebrows furrow. "But it really wasn't anything guy-related, right? It wasn't..." He hesitates.

Oh here we go.

"Sexual harassment?"

I knew it. I sigh. I shake my head. Don't get me wrong, I love his concern. But right now, that's really not the issue at hand. We don't even have time for this actually.