Chapter 18 - Allies, Enemies, Chances

The next day comes sooner than I would've liked for it to, and like always, I'm dying in gym. To be fair, I'm on my last lap, but even though everyone else had four times as much as me, they're all already done and playing games now.

I want to give up, but Coach Kenet is hot on my tail. It's her new method of making sure I'm "properly motivated."

"Keep it moving, Jones," she screams while doing high knees around me. "Pick up those legs."

I drag them across the floor.

Krys yells from the sidelines, "Girl you got this." She claps and does a little cheer formation. Nothing complicated, but still. Only Krys would. "Finish strong, Mia!"

Brittany screams, "Oh my lord, just finish already."

Krys glares at her. "I don't think that's a very encouraging."

Brittany looks at her with an irritated expression.

Krys smiles, a little too tightly. "I'm sorry, who are you looking at like that?"

I finish the lap and fall over beside them.

Coach Kenet snatches me up so quickly, pushing me back towards the track. I go kicking and screaming, reaching for the two. "Help me!"

Krys screams, "No!" reaching towards me.

Brittany lowers her hand, patting it. "It's too late. She's gone."

Krys falls into Brittany's arms dramatically. "Say it ain't so..."

Brittany rubs her back. "There was nothing more we could do."

The traitors.

Coach Kenet stands my limp body up firmly on the track. "You better begin your cool down young lady. That's why you can't breath. Do you know what recovery is?"

I want to cry. I pull myself back up and slowly trot around the gym.

Brittany races in front of me and starts jogging backwards, showing off. "Come on. The faster you start, the faster you finish."

I point towards my clearly moving legs. "I have started."

"Start better I mean," Brittany smirks.

Krys laughs. I look at her.

"What?" she asks.

"Whose side are you on?" I grumble.

Krys shrugs. "The right side, unless the wrong side is funnier."

I shake my head. They stay at my side until Krys tags Brittany and they start barreling after each other. They're just as aggressive, reckless, and impulsive as the guys. In fact, sometimes I think roughhousing between female wolves is worse.

They're lapping me now. So much for cool down.

I pass Suzie and Juliet leaning on the railing, staring down at the second level. A bunch of people are playing sports down there. Mainly basketball.

The brothers, and Ethel, are clearly killing it on the court. A few people sit on the sidelines talking. Girls and guys chat while exchanging passes and shooting hoops. It's a really intense atmosphere. Every now and again they all get in sync and do drills. It's like they're one body.

"Are you feeling like trying something today?" Brittany slows down beside me, sounding excited for the first time all day. "Basketball? Volleyball?"

I shake my head. "No."

"Soccer?" Krys asks.

Outside, a few people are playing soccer. You can see them through the large windows on the far side of the gym that we're passing now. I once again shake my head. "I think I need to talk to Axel. Could you tell him?" I ask Brittany.