Chapter 32 - Axel

"What the hell is going on?" Michael asks.

I glare at him from the passenger's seat. "Michael," I warn. "Let me handle this." I look back at Axel and glare at him so he knows I'm being serious. "What the heck is going on, Axel? And I swear if you lie..."

I think a misconception I personally had about finding a "werewolf lover" was that I'd automatically love everything about him... or them. I thought we'd all just get along and everything would be perfect and joy and happiness and peace for all.

The truth smacked me in the face the first time Axel lied to me like it was nothing. But it's like... I love it somehow? Not being lied to of course, but rather the entire situation. Having the brothers. Finally being able to be with them. That's why I'm kind of freaking out a little, because the enemy is threatening to take that away.

Axel says everyone'll be safe. "It's not like the last time," but still... how do I know that's true?

"Is it the Bloodmoon Pack?" I ask.

"Yeah..." Axel sighs. "But not completely."

I wait for him to finish, but Michael cuts in. "Please tell me they're not the bad guys."

What does he mean? I raise an eyebrow. "They are. What's the problem?"

He scoffs. "Bloodmoon? Come on. That's so... predictable. Tell me you're joking."

Axel and I exchange a look. Unfortunately, we're not.

Michael shakes his head. "That would be like you guys calling yourselves something stupid like Bluemoon or something." He busts out laughing, but we don't respond. As the silence grows, his face falls. "Wait, seriously?" He looks at Axel using the rearview mirror.

Axel gives a dejected look.

Michael flinches. "Oh, wow, well. I didn't mean it like that..." He scratches the back of his neck. "Well... damn... I guess I did, but I didn't mean stupid. Just lame. Sorry."

"Would you stop it," I yell at him. Not seriously, but in that irritated sister way. He's just making it worse, and this isn't even an important conversation to be having at the moment. "We're about to be killed."

"Killed?" The car swerves.

I brace myself, holding onto the dashboard and my seat. Suddenly I feel Axel's arm wrap around me from the backseat, as if I wasn't already wearing a seatbelt. He holds me protectively, in a way that makes me feel like he's prepared to throw himself in front of me if need be, just for my sake. That scares me.

Michael rights the car, but Axel stares at him, wide-eyed. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"I found out we're on a hit list of some kind," Michael says forcefully. "Cut me some slack."

Axel looks at him like he's crazy.

I pat his arm that's still around me. "It's fine. You'll get used to it, Axel."

He furrows his brow. "What? This happens a lot?"

"No," Michael says, but I cut him off, saying, "Yes." I smile at him. "All the time."

He glares at me.

Axel frowns, rubbing his thumb against my side, absent-mindedly. "If that's the case, maybe someone else should drive Mia around from now on. Just to be safe. I mean I could—"

"Say that again." Michael's voice is way too calm for the occasion.

Axel stays quiet.

"Go ahead. Don't be shy." Michael smiles, in a way that doesn't feel like a smile at all. "Try my patience again."