Chapter 54 - Nurses and Doctors

A/N Recap: Mia encounters a packless rogue named Shen who has breached the Silvermoon borders. Because the girl is holding a sick baby, and appears to be injured herself, Mia encourages Axel to help her get medical attention from Ethel's aunt, the school nurse. Axel agrees only to the extent of detaining the girl in Onai's father's secluded cottage to get more information. How did she get in? And what will the other two alphas think when they arrive?

---

Onai sits in the recliner beside the couch. He can't be comfortable like that. He's on the edge, prepared to act at any moment.

Axel hasn't even sat down fully. He's leaning back against arm of the couch, arms crossed, eyes on Shen. The only thing between her and him is me. I'm on the couch beside her. She's got Fei swaddled in her arms, fast asleep despite her stuffy nose.

Axel says that Nurse Janice is on her way, but I feel like he told her to take her time. Take a long time, I imagine his smooth voice saying. "When did you first cross our borders?" he asks.

Shen looks like that's the last thing she wanted to hear. She slouches further into the couch, trying to sink into the cushions. I'd want to run away too, with the way Onai's scowling from the left and Axel's glowering from the right.

She pushes the blanket down to make sure Fei can breathe, but it looks like it's her who's struggling for air.

"... A few days ago," she says.

Onai narrows his eyes. "Days?"

"Just a few," she says.

Onai gives Axel a look, and I don't like the threat behind it.

Axel sighs, muttering, "It's to be expected..." He combs his fingers through his hair, pushing it out of his face. It's gotten longer, unlike his patience. "She's Dawn."

"Not technically." Her words fall on deaf ears.

Axel's already asking the next question, "How did you hide?"

"My scent?" she asks.

"Your presence." He gestures towards her and the toddler. "Someone had to see you. Messed-up leg. Sick baby."

"I just messed it up," she says.

I raise an eyebrow. "Really?"

She nods.

"When you were knocking our people out?" I remember the Farmer's Market.

She doesn't say anything. I have my answer.

"How did you hide?" Axel repeats after a long pause.

She messes with her hands in the blanket. "I stayed in crowds."

"That worked?" Onai cuts in.

She shrugs. "You have a big pack. Too many faces."

"Is that how you got inside?" I ask, but Axel's already shaking his head.

"There's no way that would've worked." His amber eyes narrow. "Carson makes sure they check one at a time. Every time."

"What does that even mean?" I ask. Did somebody let her in? Is that what he's thinking?

Before I can say anything, she blurts out, "I followed the car in."

"The car?" I raise an eyebrow.

She doesn't change her answer.

That's oddly specific. "The car?" I repeat.

"A car," she corrects.

Axel and I exchange glances.