Chapter 49 - To Reprimand

"I know everything," I say.

"What do you mean you—" Carson starts.

"I know everything." I look each alpha and beta in the eye.

"If you're gonna start another argument." Aiden's voice sounds like he couldn't care less. "Maybe you should spare the betas."

"This isn't a romantic thing. This is serious, and it involves them." I cross my arms. He's just trying to keep it quiet like always. Not today. Some change is about to happen. "I know about the war. The refugees. The Bloodmoon Pack."

"What do you know?" Aiden scoffs.

I glare at him. He can doubt me all he wants. I don't care. It doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

"Maybe you could just tell us what you heard," Axel says. "I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding."

There he goes. Trying to get me to name names. I can't take it anymore. "I liked the way it was today," I say.

Axel looks confused. Everyone does.

I try to say my point clearer. "I liked being able to see how all the other packs interacted, like a unit." I stare down at my hands. I want to seem powerful and assertive in this moment, but I can't. I just feel defeated. "When it came to the Dusk Pack, the beta listened equally to both the luna and the alpha. The Moonlight Pack really considered their beta's opinion too in all situations." I look between the members of my group. "They didn't lie to each other. And they didn't keep each other in the dark in front of other nations."

"We're like that." Carson uses that tone. The one that means he's getting jealous or defensive, but now's not the time for it.

I give him a look. "No we're not. You guys don't give two craps about the opinions of your brothers' betas." I look at Axel. "You'd keep me in a sheltered bubble for the rest of my life if you could, even if it makes me look stupid when people ask questions I should have the answer to." I look at Aiden, and my heart drops. "And you..." I can barely look into his amber eyes. "I trusted you to be honest with me, and you lied." I know about the refugee situation, Aiden. Just admit it.

"You're not being fair," he says. "You really think the Dusk and Moonlight packs are like that all the time?"

I stay quiet.

He looks at his brothers and the betas, before looking back at me. "They're just as werewolf as the rest of us. They fight. Lie to each other. Keep secrets and make decisions not everyone agrees on. " He gives me a hard look. "They just pulled themselves together for one event. It's not fair to compare us to that."

"Exactly," Carson says. "At least we tried."

The betas nod, looking offended. The only two people not in the 'we're not to blame' party are Axel and Onai. Always the voices of reason. They're just a little too late this time.

Axel tries to talk to calm me down. "Let's talk about what you heard. Honestly this time. No sheltering—"

"There's nothing left to say, Axel." I gesture towards the physical space between us. There's an actual divide between them and me. "It'll always be like this right? Humans? Werewolves?" Before any of them can say anything, I put it out there. "I can't be luna if I can't make any decisions. That's just a pawn."

"You think that's how we see you?" Axel looks so hurt. His eyes change color, but it's not the way they usually do. The colors are dimmer. Greyer.

Krys, Bri, and Carson have similar expressions.

I don't know what to say. "I just..."

Onai makes eye contact with me. Dark brown tearing into dark brown.