Chapter 7 - How to Defend Yourself Here

I'll be damned if I ask him to take me in. I don't even look at Aiden. I just pull up a stool and sit beside his lab partner. The guy is asian, with dark hair and dark eyes. He has to be extremely tall because he's looks just a little shorter than Aiden, and he still towers over my seated figure despite him being seated himself.

He raises an eyebrow at me when I sit down but says nothing. He just gets up and moves to the other side of Aiden.

Wow. Thanks.

I decide not to look at Aiden even if he's right beside me. Forget him. I'm not going to let him ruin my day any further. I wait for the teacher to start teaching but a minute or two passes and nothing happens. For a woman so stuck on punctuality, she sure is wasting time. She makes eye contact with me and gives me a dirty look.

What?

I look around and people are working. I nearly gasp out loud. What the heck? I look to my left and see the Aiden's uninterested eyes glancing at me.

I give him the same dirty look the teacher gave me. "What?"

He just keeps looking at me from the corner of his eyes. "You realize you're supposed to be doing that, right?"

"Of course I do." I look away. I won't ask him, but what am I supposed to be doing? I see the equations and formulas on the board but there's no actual instructions. She never said anything, so how does everyone else know? I could ask him, but I have too much pride for that. I try to infer by lightly glancing at other people's papers, but everyone else is too far away.

"Is everyone done?" Ms. Baines asks.

I start sweating. Uh oh.

I think she smells the fear on me. She looks directly at me. "Would anyone like to share their answers?"

I snap my head towards Aiden. Then at his paper. Then at my blank paper. Then at his paper. Then at him. He raises an eyebrow. For the first time ever, I think... I think he actually looks amused. Not grinning amused. Not even smirking, just a slight amount of interest in my suffering. A glint in his eyes of curiosity that lasts just a moment.

I glare at him.

"Well if everyone's too confident to share, I'll just pick someone," Ms. Baines says. "Mi—"

"I don't know," I cry out. I might as well just spare myself.

"—tchell." the name dies from her lips.

"...Huh?" I look up.

She gives me a pointed look. "Mitchell."

I turn around and sure enough, a guy with striking blond hair looks between me and the teacher. "Uh, yeah," he starts. "I got—"

"No, wait," Ms. Baines stops him. "Since Ms. Jones is so eager to participate, let's see what she has to say."

I pale. "Um, well... Well I don't know actually."

"What did you write down?"

I stare blankly in front of me. My hand moves on its own accord towards Aiden's notebook. He lazily moves it away from my grasp.

I cry internally. "Nothing."

"Why?" she basically growls.

I'm so done with today. I look down at the desk in front of me. I just can't win. I just want to go home. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

A voice from the back says loud enough for everyone to hear, "You didn't say the instructions out loud." It's the voice of that girl from gym. Brittany. Why is she helping me out?