Prologue

Boom.

My eyes shot open.

I jerked upright, pulling my pink covers up with me as I scanned my room, squinting against the darkness. Rain beat steadily against the sides of my apartment in the night, and chills began to cover my bare arms, so I clutched my covers tighter to my chest.

The walls were draped in shadows, and everything was still.

Crash.

I jumped a bit at the sound of thunder.

I hated storms.

Rain continued to pour heavily against the sides of my apartment, as I noticed how cold it was.

A flash of lightning illuminated my room for a moment, startling me, but it was gone as soon as it came.

My body shivered, and I looked over to my open window to see that the rain was pooling in on the floor and soaking into the carpet.

With an annoyed huff, I pushed myself up out of bed and went to close it.

The carpet tickled my bared toes, and hairs stood up on my arms from the cold. Since when was it this cold at night?

Then, as I stopped in front of the open hole in my house that was letting buckets of water in, a thought hit me.

I never opened the window.

Bam.

I gritted my teeth against the cold air streaming in and tried to pull the window down.

It resisted at first, but with a hard yank and a few choice words I managed to slam it shut.

Maybe I opened it but didn't remember. I did tend to forget things.

Wait... what was I just thinking about?

I'm joking, I'm not THAT forgetful!

For a moment, I considered going to get my roommate for comfort, but she was on the other side of our appartement, and I was lazy.

So instead, I sighed and shook my head to clear it, and then proceeded to do what I normally did during thunderstorms.

Distract myself with my computer.

I pulled out my gray rolling chair and sat down, while turning on the monitor. Maybe I should start locking the windows from now on.

My computer screen quickly flickered to life, and I went to check my emails when something caught my eye. Something that made my blood run cold.

A word document had been pulled up, and there was a message written in the middle of it.

Cute room. Love the flamingo sheets.

I froze.

What the hell?

Was someone in my room?

Lightning struck nearby, and the flash of light almost made me shriek.

I wrapped my arms around myself, and narrowed my eyes at the computer.

Was it my roommate? Probably, to be honest.

Crackle.

I shook my head again, trying to get rid of the fear creeping down my spine.

The computer was no longer an option, so I begrudgingly went back to my bed, deciding to deal with this in the morning, and hoping I could still get a decent sleep.

I had classes in the morning, and I wasn't about to let some stupid prank keep me up.

However, as I tucked myself back in to the still-warm sheets and closed my eyes, I could have sworn I felt a pair of eyes watching me...