Chapter Fifteen

After spying on Carson and Aileen and discovering Carson used strawberry Dove Shampoo, Jacob and I decided to make a snack

"Guys!" I called from the bottom of the stairwell. "Come down here and eat our cake!"

Not a second later, Carson was at the top of the steps. "Cake, you say?"

"Yep! Come down and be a cake judge," I ordered, and turned back to walk to the kitchen, where my cake and Jacob's cake were.

Aileen ran down the stairs, and sped into the kitchen. "In the words of some dead queen, Let us eat cake!"

Suddenly, there was a knock on the front door.

And it was like someone pressed pause on a DVD- we all froze like statues.

I slowly looked at Carson, who stared back at me like a deer in headlights.

They knocked again, releasing us from the strange spell, and everyone jumped into action.

"Is it the police?!" Jacob shrieked, sounding like a baby girl.

"Uh!?" I yelled, not knowing what else to say.

Aileen, as usual, was smarter than me.

"HELP!" She shouted to the police. "IM HERE AGAINST MY WILL!"

"Guys? It's me," A voice said from behind the door, and both the boys visibly relaxed.

"Here!" Carson said, running over to the large coat closet. He grabbed me by the arm, pulling me after him.

"Hey!" I said indignantly as he roughly dragged me over.

He yanked open the closet and pushed me in. Then before I could protest, he shut the door in my face, leaving me in darkness.

I heard Jacob then say, "Forgetting something? Or someone?"

"Right!" Carson snapped his fingers from the outside, and a second later the door opened again and another warm body was pushed against mine.

Aileen slammed into me, and I lost my balance and crashed against the wall, falling to the floor.

"Sorry!" Carson said, and I heard him run back to the door. It gave a creak as he pulled it open, and tall sounding boots clanked against the hardwood floors.

I held my breath, hoping it might be someone with common sense for once.

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease-

"Bad news, guys," a girl's voice said. "My apartment building caught fire due to a small electrical mishap, and now I have no place to stay!"

"Ah well, what a shame," said Jacob. "See you later!"

"And I was hoping you would let me stay here!" She finished.

There was an awkward silence.

"Uh, actually we are kind full at the momen-"

"Sure!" Carson cut in to Jacobs deny. I imagine Jacob turned to glare at him, because then Carson said, "What? I think it'll be fun."

"Because it WILL be!" The voice sang. "It'll be like a sleepover, but for several days!"

"Slumber party!" Carson cheered, and they both squealed. "EEEE!"

"Now hold on just a minute," Jacob interrupted. "I hate to be the wet blanket here, but let's think logically about this."

"Why do we always have to think logically?" Carson complained. "Why can't we just march into something stupidly and live to regret it later?"

"Because that's stupid reasoning," Jacob said. "We need to plan first, so we don't get into any more trouble."

"Well, I wasn't paying attention to any of that, so I'm just gonna assume you said yes," The girl decided.

"Ok fine," Jacob sighed, and his voice got louder, making me assume he turned toward our coat closet. He raised his voice and said, "Time to come out of the closet."

"Wait... what??" The girl spoke, sounding utterly shocked. "What did you just say?"

"I said it's time to come out of the closet," Jacob repeated. "Now don't get mad..."

"I-I-I'm not mad!" The girl spluttered. "Just surprised, I guess. Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I didn't want you to judge me," Jacob replied.

"Dude, I'm totally cool with that! No judge here, I'm not mad."

"Ok good," Jacob said, and with that he opened the door, revealing us. The suddenly presence of light momentarily blinded me. "Because we are harboring captives in there."

"WHAT?!"

"You said you wouldn't get mad!"

My eyesight returned to see a young girl around my age standing in between the boys, staring at us in complete shock.

She had medium length brown hair with a hint of red, and big brown eyes. Her hair was pulled back and away from her face in a high ponytail, and she was wearing a floral top and jean shorts.

She stared at us for a long while, making weird, guttural noises in the back of her throat.

"I don't even know where to begin," She eventually managed to choke out.

Carson began cracking up, and Jacob looked incredibly scared.

"Allow me to introduce you," Carson said, still chuckling. "Camille, meet Hayley and Aileen. Hayley and Aileen, met one of our best friends, Camille."

"Hello," I said.

Aileen just stared her down, assessing her, and said nothing.

"Um... hey?" Camille said, sounding utterly bewildered.

"They are here on a fun adventurous outing. It's like a surprise birthday!" Carson said. "Surprise!"

"My birthday is in June," Aileen told him. "It's December."

"Did you say something?" Carson asked. "I was distracted by your hideous outfit choice. Anyway!" He continued, brushing her off while she self-consciously looked down at the clothes she was wearing. "Camille, we would be happy to host you."

"Awesome," She said, less sure now. "Although, I'm not sure I want to risk being an accomplice..."

"It'll be fineee," Carson insisted. "What's life without the risk of being an accomplice?"

"Well, you've got me there," Camille admitted.

"So it's decided," He smiled. "The party is getting started."