Chapter Seventy One

"AND SO I PUT MY HANDS UP THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG, THE BUTTERFLIES FLY AWAY!" we belted

"NODDIN MY HEAD LIKE YEAH!" I bobbed my head around.

"MOVIN MY HIPS LIKE YEAH!" Jacob swayed his hips like a girl.

"I PUT MY HANDS UP THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG AND YOU KNOW ITS GONNA BE OK!" We both joined in, throwing our hands in the air. "YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH! ITS A PARTY IN THE ELEVATOR!! YEAHHHHH ITS A PARTY IN THE ELEVATOR!"

Finished with our awesome encore, we both fell back against the walls, exhausted.

"We should start a band!" I proposed, hyped up on tunes.

"A rock band!" Jacob exclaimed, equally energized.

"And we could have crazy dance routines!" I added.

"And we could call it something cool by putting two random, unrelated words together!" he finished.

"Like Electronic Penguin!" I yelled.

"Or Tornado Banana!" he put in.

"Or Vacuum Spatula!"

"Or Contradictory Silverware!"

"Or Killer Nightstand!"

"Or Questionable Taco!"

"We are just so full of good ideas right now!" I exclaimed.

"Maybe It has something to do with the fact that we have been confined in a small space for so long when we already have a lot of energy!" he offered.

"I would love to get out of here!" I told the world.

"I'm feeling really claustrophobic!" Jacob announced.

"I might be going crazy stuck in here!" I admitted.

"I might start sobbing if we don't get out soon!" Jacob claimed.

Then we both looked at each other.

And we started crying.

"I want to go home," I said as we wrapped our arms around each other.

"I want my mommy," he sniffed. "Actually, I want Carson. He would just break down the door with his brute strength."

I give him an encouraging pat on the back, but I knew it did little to actually help the situation.

"It's ok, Jacob," I encouraged weakly, "We will get out of here. Eventually."

This made him cry harder, and I felt bad. This is what I get for trying to be comforting.

"Wanna play a game to distract you?" I offered, patting his back some more.

"Nothing can distract me!" he cried dramatically, hugging me tighter. Then he paused. "What kind of game?"

I smiled and pulled away from him so that we were facing each other.

"Let's play..." I trailed off and thought. What games could we play in here?

"We could always go back to hugging," he suggested. "That's a fun game."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Jacob, I'll never understand you."

This made him stop and think. "How come?"

I raised an eyebrow. "How come what?"

"How come you'll never understand me?"

I sighed. "Because you're so different. And unpredictable. I can never tell what you're going to say or do. And I can't ever tell what you're thinking, and usually I'm pretty good at that."

Jacob processed my words silently, really listening.

Then he thought to himself. "Does that make me... mysterious?"

I laughed at his interpretation of what I had just said. "Maybe. It also makes you interesting. It's fun seeing how you react to different things."

He smiled, satisfied. "You're pretty interesting too."

"Why's that?" I asked, crossing my legs under me and putting my hands in my lap.

"You're different as well. Strange. No one has ever threatened me so much before," he informed me. "I like that you're so bold, brave, and you don't care about what anyone else does or thinks."

I nodded, this information pretty much summed me up.

That's when an idea hit me.

"Hold on a second," I said suddenly, holding a hand up. "What did you say about Carson before?"

He frowned. "What?"

"When you were talking about why you'd want Carson here, what did you say?"

"I said he would just bust the doors down?"

"THATS IT!" I leapt up and exclaimed.

Jacob jumped a bit, startled by my outburst, but quickly stood up and faced me.

"What's it?" he asked curiously.

"You can open the doors!" I told him, looking into his eyes in excitement. "You're super strong right? Open the doors!"

He made a face. "I don't know if I'm that strong."

"Maybe you just need some encouragement," I said. Then I thought to myself.

What would Jacob work really hard for...

Got it!

"If you get us out of here, you'll get the kiss of your life!" I proclaimed, jabbing a finger in the air for emphasis.

He went still.

I frowned, watching as Jacob seemed to completely shut down. He simply stood there, staring at me in incomprehension.

I raised an eyebrow. "Um... Jacob?"

Suddenly, he seemed to snap out of his trance.

He rolled up both sleeves, and marched over to the doors.

Wedging his fingers in between the two sides, he began forcing them apart with all his might.

It was amazing really, watching his arm muscles tense and ripple, watching his face grow red, his eyes set in concentration.

And crazy enough, the doors began to separate.

Inch by inch, Jacob forced the doors open, until the elevator seemed to recognize what we were doing, and the doors opened the rest of the way themselves.

"Jacob you did it!" I beamed.

Then the elevator seemed to begin shaking.

Uh oh.

"Let's get out before this thing starts to plummet," I said, pushing Jacob out and running after him.