Chapter Seventy Four

Aileen and Jacob left the room, leaving Carson and I to ourselves

He had transformed back, and I had given him a pair of my sweatpants to borrow temporarily.

I immediately turned to him and wrapped my arms around his muscular torso.

His arms came around me, pulling me flat against his body, and I savored the warm embrace.

My cheek leaned against Carson's chest and his chin rested on the top of my head, and I couldn't help but marvel at the fact that we fit together so well.

"Thanks for coming," I murmured.

"That's what she said," he said in response.

I laughed lightly, and gently pulled away. "I mean it. I would have been toast if you hadn't come."

He smiled, and tucked a lock of my blonde hair behind my ear. "I should be thanking you. You're the one who scared them away with that gun."

I shrugged. "It was all a bluff. I broke the thing within a minute."

He laughed loudly at this, probably marveling at my ability to break anything I touched, and then he bent over and kissed me lightly on the forehead.

When he drew back, a small smile was still resting on his face.

"Now maybe you can finally relax," he said. "Everything seems to have worked out."

"Don't say that," I ordered. "You'll jinx it."

Normally I wasn't that superstitious, but weirder things had happened lately.

"I guess I'll be seeing you at lunch this weekend. Or sooner," he winked.

"I'll take the ladder," I said, "Now go."

He laughed again as I started to push him out, wanting to clean up the mess before Hope came home.

I wasn't sure how I was going to hide some of this stuff, like the TV, but I needed as much time as I could get.

"Bye," I called after him.

Carson stopped in the doorway, looking at me over his shoulder.

"See you, gorgeous," he grinned.

Then he left.

Once he disappeared from my view, I sighed and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes.

Maybe I could finally have some peace.

God knows I needed a break.

Just one minute to myself...

Then, Hope walked in through the door.

I held my breath as I watched her take in the destruction zone.

Her eyes went wider than I had thought was physically possible.

"What... the... hell..." she breathed in shock, scanning out overturned sofa, broken tables and lamps, and shattered TV. "I leave for 30 minutes..."

I chuckled nervously, and her head turned from the mess to me. "Well, it's actually a funny story..."

Hope marched over to me, a serious look on her face, and put her hands on my shoulders.

"Hayley, What is going on," she demanded. "You go missing for weeks. You suddenly come back and won't tell me anything. And now our living room is destroyed! You owe me an explanation, starting with where you disappeared to."

I looked at her.

Then I sighed.

She was right, I did owe her an explanation. Especially after ruining her apartment.

I looked right at her, and said, "Ok fine, but you absolutely can't tell anyone. Promise?"

She nodded, and raised her right hand solemnly. "On my grave."

I took another deep breath and steeled myself. "Fine."

Wow, I couldn't believe I was actually doing this. But, what was the alternative? Never tell her? That was unfair.

Hope took her hands off my shoulders and took by the hand, leading me to the overturned couch.

We perched on to of it, and she inched closer, curiosity edging into her expression. "So... what happened? Why did you leave?"

"Well," I hesitated.

She leaned forwards.

Alright! Here goes.

"I was kidnapped, unfortunately."

The end.

Guys! Before you get mad at me, I'm still writing an epilogue and a bonus chapter after;)