Chapter Forty Four

"EVERYBODY!" Carson shouted, making me wake up with a start

"EVERYBODY!" Carson shouted, making me wake up with a start. "DOWNSTAIRS IMMEDIATELY!"

I sleepily raised my head from the pillow to look outside. It was very bright, signaling that I had probably slept past breakfast. But I was tired, so I didn't mind.

I had a bad feeling as I opened my door and began to walk downstairs and into the kitchen, where Hayley and Camille sat.

I took a seat next to them as Jacob finally joined us.

Carson stood in front of us with his arms crossed. "Who ransacked my room?"

Oh crap. Did I forget to clean up afterward?

I gulped nervously, and looked over at Hayley's face.

She looked perplexed, innocent.

He was gonna know it was me.

So I raised my hand reluctantly. "I did."

Carson glared at me through slitted eyes. "Why."

I opened my mouth, quickly making up a bogus story about how I lost my hairbrush and wanted to borrow his.

I wanted to tell them, I really did! But if I told Carson what I was doing, Hayley might die. I had to lie.

But that's when I decided something. I decided to do what no other characters in books or movies usually did in my position.

I decided to tell the truth.

"Here's the thing," I began, taking a deep breath. "So, I kinda ran into those three guys again when I escaped, and-"

"Wait, you escaped again?" Camille interjected.

"HEY!" I complained. Was I this invisible?!

"Let her finish," Hayley said.

"And they kind of threatened me a bit," I continued after pausing to glare at Camille. "Also, I may have found out your guys' secret."

With that both the boys went pale.

Hayley became notably uncomfortable.

"What secret?" She asked hesitantly.

Then suddenly her face lit up in recognition.

"Oh my god," Hayley breathed, her eyes as wide as saucers. "You guys are politicians!"

"What?? No!" Carson said.

I waited for him to elaborate, but he kept his mouth shut, so I turned to her to drop the bomb. "They're Werewolves."

From the looks of it, she believed me, as all the color drained from her face.

Camille patted her hand supportively. "If it makes you feel better, I'm one too."

Hayley turned to glare at her. "No, that does not make me feel better."

"For what it's worth, we were probably going to tell you at some point," Jacob offered. "Most likely."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms and leaning back against the couch. "Whatever you say."

Hayley spoke up, a bit more quietly. "What does it mean, that you're a werewolf. Like the ones in twilight?"

"Pretty much," Jacob responded. "Not many differences. Except we don't fight vampires."

"Why not?" She asked.

Camille laughed. "Hayley, vampires don't exist! That would be weird."

"Hold on, you said they threatened you," Carson interrupted, a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Yeah, they told me that if I didn't spy on you guys they would kill Hayley," I explained.

"WHAT?!" Hayley jumped up in surprise. "Why didn't you tell me!?"

"Well, I was still deciding what to do-"

"YOU HAD TO DECIDE IF YOU WERE GONNA SAVE ME?!"

"It was complicated!" I defended. "Anyway, they said I'd have to meet them with information at 12 tomorrow."

"Wait..." Carson trailed off. "Did they say 'tomorrow' yesterday? Or did they say in two days?"

"They said 'tomorrow' yesterday," I clarified.

"So... you were supposed to meet them today?" Carson asked.

Wait a second... huh. He was right.

I looked over at the clock.

It was 1:46pm.

"Whoops," I said.

Then things got chaotic.

Hayley jumped up and started running around yelling, Camille was chasing her, Jacob was jumping up in down in panic, and Carson was trying not to freak out.

Finally, Carson got a hold of himself and shouted, "EVERYBODY, CALM DOWN!"

We all calmed down.

As we shuffled back to the coach he began his plan.

"So, they could come looking for Hayley any minute now, so we need to be prepared," He began. "They will probably wait a day or two for an element of surprise, so at least we have some time. Hayley will be with someone at all times, and we will help her and Aileen with some quick self-defense moves. When they come, we will be ready, and we will chase them off once and for all!"

Everyone cheered, and I raised my hand. "When they come, how will we chase them off?"

He paused to think.

Jacob suggested, "Maybe we can use Hayley as bait?"

"No," Carson and Hayley said simultaneously.

"No, yeah, that's a good idea!" Camille agreed. "We will all hide, and while they come for her, we jump out and beat them to a pulp!"

"Good plan!" I patted her back in approval.

Carson and Hayley looked very uncomfortable with that, but Hayley nodded. "Alright, fine."

"Yay!" We cheered again.

When those thugs show up, they're gonna have another thing coming for them!