Chapter Twenty One

After dinner, I'd come to a conclusion

The only reason Jacob would be this mad is if he had saw me with Josh.

And I'm still not quite sure why he would care.

A part of me wanted to tell him to just grow up, but another part told me that I was tired and it was time for bed.

~~~

The next morning, I woke up with a smile.

Uuuuhhhh, what time is it? My mind thought groggily.

Then I noticed the slight changes.

The air was a bit colder, tickling my nose, and when I licked my lips I discovered how chapped they were. What I wouldn't give for some Vaseline.

Then, I pushed up off the covers, sliding my feet onto the ground, then walked over to the window.

It was covered with frost. After a slight struggle with getting it open, I finally managed to shove it up and peer outside.

Out there, everything was covered with a blanket of white, and snow was drifting down lazily to the ground.

Winter was here.

So when Josh came a couple minutes later to make his daily rounds at my windows, I was prepared.

This was going to be a good day.

Before he could throw his first rocks, I quickly jerked my window up, punched out the screen with my fist, and began pelting him with the hardest substance I could find.

"OW, HEY!" He cried out, putting his hands up to block his face, while I continued hitting him.

I finally ran out, and he cautiously looked down at what was being thrown at him.

"Biscuits?" He asked in bewilderment.

"Leftovers from dinner," I answered proudly. It had only taken a little while to grab them, and luckily for me, they were stale.

He bent over to pick one up and bit into it.

Chewing slowly, he appraised, "Not bad."

I pointed down the window screen that was now laying on the snow. "You'll need to return that though."

"So what are you up to today?" He called up, cupping his hands around his mouth to be louder. "It's snowing!"

I gasped. "Wait- it is? That's crazy! I thought it was sunny outside."

He squinted his eyes up at me, unamused.

I laughed lightly and responded with a lame, "I don't know, I'm kinda trapped at the moment."

"Lame!" He teased. "And here I thought you were one for adventures."

"I am!" I defended. "Just not right now."

"Here, just jump," Hw said, holding out his arms. "I'll catch you."

My eyes bulged, "Are you insane?"

"Come down and see," He grinned. "Come on, don't you trust me?"

"Not as far as I could throw you."

"I bet you could throw me really far."

"Have you seen my arms?"

He laughed again, but let it go.

I smiled down at him. "What are you doing today?"

"Well, I was planning on hanging with you, but now I guess I'll just go inside and watch old movies. Yuck."

"Aw, I'm sorry," I sympathized. "You could ask someone else?"

He snorted. "Like who? Everyone around here is quiet and never comes out."

I felt kinda bad. "That sucks."

"I'll see you later?" He asked.

"Sure, Bye," I said, sliding my window back down.

Then I realized something; how will I explain the missing screen?

Oh well, hopefully no one drops by and asks.

Just then, Camille walked by my door, whistling a small tune I didn't recognize, but paused in the doorway with a frown.

Her eyes squinted at my room. "What happened to the screen?"

Shoot.

"Oh-um-," I stuttered. "I was-uh- practicing karate, and I missed?"

Even though it came out more like a question, after a couple seconds of confused staring, Camille nodded and said, "Come downstairs, Carson's called a meeting."

This sparked my curiosity. Would there be food at this meeting?

"I'm in!" I exclaimed, and darted around her, making a B-line for the stairs.

Unfortunately, when I got down there I discovered that there was no food.

Only an overconfident Carson, a still-pouty Jacob, and a slightly puzzled Hayley.

Once I reached the bottom of the staircase, I crossed my arms at the group loitering by the doorway.

"What's going on here?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Well, as you may have noticed, it is snowing outside," Carson began, tucking his hands behind his back and pacing back and fourth like a military officer. "And because of this, I have reached a decision. And that decision is that we should all go outside and play in the snow!"

Hayley's face lit up while Jacob bulged his eyes.

"What?!" He exclaimed. "That's a horrible idea! What if they run?"

Carson sighed. "Why can't we just worry about that after we go play outside!"

"Because it's stupid!" Jacob insisted. We all looked at him with depressed expressions. He sighed. "I guess if we just went into the backyard, it'd be ok though. Since it is fenced in."

"Yes!" Carson cheered. "It's Snow Time!"