Chapter Fourty Nine

"They're here

"They're here."

Once the words left Aileen's mouth, my heart stopped.

And then Jacob began going insane.

"WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" He wailed, throwing his arms out like a cartoon character.

"Not all of us, just Hayley!" Camille, patted him on the back.

"Thanks," I clipped. "But you're right. My days are numbered."

I couldn't help but think about all things I'd never done, like ride a double bike or master a yo-yo.

That's just great. I'm only in college, and now I'm going to die.

After I spoke, Carson spun around so fast it scared me, and looked me deep in the eyes with the angriest face I think I've ever seen.

"No, you are not going to die, and don't you ever suggest that again!" He glared, his eyes becoming two furious slits.

The force of his anger took me aback.

"Sorry?" I said, taken back.

His face scowled, then relaxed slightly.

Then he turned around to the others and told everyone the plan.

Apparently I was supposed to be bait, and stand in between two doors.

It sounded easy, but it was the scariest thing I've ever had to do.

Suddenly there was a loud bang on the front door, making me jump.

They're here.

Oh my gosh.

I'm not ready to die!

"Quick! In the rooms!" Carson told the others, as I stood frozen in terror.

Carson walked over to me and grabbed me by the shoulders, pulling me closer.

My eyes locked on his storming emerald ones, as emotion began to churn beneath them.

"I'm scared," I said, my voice barely a whisper.

I wanted to pretend that I was brave, but the truth was, I wasn't.

As I stared into his eyes, he said nothing. Then, he gently placed his fingers under my chin and brought my face up to look at him.

My heart went even faster, until I was sure I was about to have cardiac arrest.

Carson tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear, brushing my face lightly.

"I won't let anything happen to you," He vowed lowly, staring into my eyes. "I promise."

I nodded weakly. "Be safe."

This brought a touch of humor back into his face. "You're about to be bait for three werewolves who want you dead, and you're telling me to be safe?"

I blushed. "Don't make me regret saying it."

He grinned at me.

Then he did something that surprised me.

He coiled a long strand of my hair around two fingers and studied it intensely.

Then he met my eyes and kissed it.

For some reason, this felt as intimate as an actual kiss, and I brushed an even deeper shade of red.

"See you soon," He promised, and then left to walk into his room.

As soon as he disappeared from my focus, my heart relaxed a tiny bit.

"Ok, Hayley, you can do this," I said to myself. "All you gotta do is stand there. How hard is it really? You've mastered standing. Actually, you do trip a lot, but-"

Footsteps began to sound in the stairway, and I knew they were almost on top of us.

Just then, there was a loud crash coming from Aileen and Jacob's room. I turned just in time to see them trip and come crashing down across the hall in Carson's room.

Those idiots!! It's like they WANTED me to die!

Camille yanked the door shut just in time, as the three guys came into view.

They were just as ugly as I remembered. The leader was dirty and messy, with yellow teeth and malicious eyes. The other two were just as ragged, and I gulped nervously.

As they walked closer, I screamed to Carson in my head.

Now guys!!

But they didn't come out.

As the guys grew closer I almost began to panic. Where were they?!

My hands curled into fists.

Suddenly, the leader turned to the room they were in and yanked off the door knob completely.

Oh. My. God.

I was doomed.

There was loud banging on the door, but I couldn't hear it over the roar of blood in my ears.

So much for just having to just stand here!

The leader stepped forward. "We meet again."

"So it seems," I said in a hard voice. Thankfully it didn't quiver.

He examined his filthy nails casually. "I'm sure you know what's going to happen now."

"Yeah," I said, completely bluffing. "I'm going to make you wish you were never born."

He laughed at loud at this, even going so far as to wipe a tear from his eyes. "You know, I almost don't want to kill you. You're innocent. Why should you die?"

My hopes raised. "So you're not going to kill me?"

"Oh no, I'm going to kill you all right," He assured me. "But I'll make it quick and painless."

"Gee..." I said. "Thanks."

So this was it.

I was just going to die.

Well I should at least go out with a bang.