Chapter Thirty Eight

We finally pulled up into the driveway at Arby's

We finally pulled up into the driveway at Arby's. My favorite fast food restaurant. 

"I am SO ready for this!" Jacob cheered. "Bring on the fries!"

I walked up to the door when I noticed something suspicious.

"Huh," I said. "It looks like the lights are off."

"Maybe they are conserving energy?" Jacob suggested.

I jiggled the doorknob.

"Huh," I said. "The doors are locked."

"Maybe they have another entrance they want us to use?" Jacob said, looking around.

I looked around the door until my eyes landed on a small sign at the bottom.

"Huh," I said. "This sign says that it's closed."

Carson snorted and stepped up to the restaurant. "Let me try."

Then he shoved the door so hard the alarm started going off.

We all froze as a siren rang and lights flashed in front of the restaurant.

Then Camille cursed. "Dammit, Carson! Look what you've done!"

"It's not my fault!" He protested. "My arms are just too strong for my own good!"

"Whatever," Jacob interjected. "My arms are strong too. I'm sure I can set off, like, a hundred alarms!"

And before anyone could protest, he began kicking and slamming into the doors as he'd as he could.

My eyes widened, "Jacob you idiot! What the hell are you doing, trying to get us arrested?!"

"I'm proving my manliness!" He reported, punching the glass. Then he let out a cry and cradled his knuckles.

Unfortunately for us, just then another siren sounded from behind us.

I turned around slowly to see the cop from before pull up.

Camille said lowly, "Follow my lead."

As the man got out of the car, my heart started beating really fast. I was NOT about to go to jail. Not this time!

"Not you guys again," He scowled, walking up to us.

Suddenly, Camille collapsed.

She landed awkwardly on the ground and was still.

I raised my eyebrows, looking at Hayley, who shrugged.

The officer looked confused. "Uh, is she ok?"

Then, Camille started convulsing on the ground, and crying out, "Help me! I'm going to die! Everything is so blurry- is that you, mother? Wait no- it's Jesus! Take me now!"

"Oh no, Camille!" Carson played along, falling to his knees. "You had so much left to live! Why, why?!"

"Does she need a doctor?" The officer asked.

"It's too late, save yourselves!" She cried out, rolling around on the ground.

"Now you'll never cure cancer!" Carson mourned, putting his face in his hands. "You were so young, so young!"

"I'll go call the ambulance!" The policeman said, running back to his car.

I can't believe he's buying this crap!

"It's ok sir, she just needs her iron pills," Carson called back, helping her up and waking her to the car. "Thanks for all your help."

"I hope she makes it, son," The Officer said gravely.

Carson nodded solemnly, and we all followed suit, getting into the car.

Camille was set in the passenger seat and Carson took the wheel, pulling out of the parking lot and driving into the main road.

"I can't believe that worked!" I exclaimed. "He must be really stupid."

"That was awesome!" Jacob agreed. "Camille, you should be an actor!"

"Why thank you!" She beamed.

The car was silent for a little while, then everyone resumed their own conversations.

Jacob turned to me and said, "I'm glad you weren't arrested."

I raised my eyebrows. "Really? That might be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!"

He smiled, satisfied with himself.

Then, so subtly I almost missed it, his shoulder bumped into mine.

And it stayed there.

I slowly looked at his arm, now touching mine, and looked at him.

He was red, and looking anywhere but me.

But, instead of beating him up, I looked away and began talking to Hayley.

As I did this, I felt him relax against me, and I could practically hear his wide smile.

That's when I realized something.

After I had partially forgiven Jacob for being so unbearably annoying, I found myself in an ok mood.

I was actually enjoying myself.

I was actually beginning to like it here.

Maybe I was actually beginning to like Jacob.

And that's exactly why I had to leave.