Chapter Thirty Three

I watched Aileen walk up the steps tiredly, and not a second later a huge mass slammed into me, locking me into a tight embrace

Carson was holding me flush against him, holding me with strong arms, and I felt my cheeks grow warm. I was so short my head tucked under his chin, and it seemed like a nice fit.

I'd never touched him like this before, and I had to say, I had no complaints.

Dude, what was wrong with me?

"I missed you," He breathed on top of my head, leaning his chin on it. "I've been so bored."

This made me warmer, and I struggled a bit, but gave up when he didn't even notice my effort.

Finally, he pulled away and looked into my eyes, smiling from ear to ear.

My heart stirred a bit, seeing him so happy, and I told it to stop.

Unfortunately, it didn't listen and beat fast in my chest.

For a second, I was worried that it was so loud he could hear it, but then he looked over my head and asked, "Where's Aileen?"

"Upstairs," A disappointed voice said behind me. I turned around to see Jacob looking up the stairwell with a wistful expression.

I narrowed his eyes and analyzed his face. Something shone in his eyes, something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"I think she hates me," He said sadly.

"I think she hates everyone," I put in, trying to make him feel better, but I don't think it worked.

"Maybe you should go up and talk to her?" Carson suggested.

Oh no.

"I don't know about that-" I started to protest, but Jacob was nodding.

"You're right. I think we just need to talk this out," He said with determination.

I didn't  think Aileen was the type of person to talk things out, but Jacob already seemed set on his ways, so I just let him go upstairs.

Once he was gone, I turned to Carson with a confused expression. "Why are you still smiling?"

"No reason," He said, grinning back at me.

I frowned. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" He tilted his head.

"I don't know," I said. "Like that."

"Ah," He said. "Thanks for clearing that up for me."

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him, heading for where I heard Camille's voice.

"Hey," He said, grabbing my wrist and spinning me back around to meet his eyes. When I saw them I noticed the concern buried in there. "I'm happy you're back. You being away was making me nervous."

"Scared I'd rat you out to the police?" I teased, poking his arm.

"Something like that," He smiled vaguely.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I asked, feeling bold.

"Sure, what is it?" Carson responded, raising an inquisitive eyebrow.

I gaged his reaction carefully. "Does Jacob like Aileen?"

At first, he froze. But then he quickly recovered.

"'Like'?" Carson snickered.

I gave him a dry look. "You know what I mean."

He chuckled again. "Yeah, I think so."

Then he paused and his eyes grew distant. Thinking.

I began to feel a little awkward, so I nudged him with my elbow. "Unfortunate circumstances, am I right?"

He gave a short, humorless laugh, as if there were something I didn't know, and I narrowed my eyes slightly at it.

"Why are you guys still in the foyer? I'm lonely," Camille called from in the living room.

"Lonely? The horror," I called back, a small smile playing on my face.

"Truer words were never spoken," She responded as we made our way over to her.

She was laying sprawled out on the couch, and when she saw us she raised her eyebrows. "So how's Aileen's nose? It looked pretty bad the last time I saw it."

"About the same, then," I responded, going to sit next to her. "Come to think if it, I think Jacob's going to see her right now. And with the mood she's in, they may end up with matching noses."

"HAHAHAHA!" Camille burst out laughing.

Then I turned an accusatory glance at her and her large, lazy smile. "Have you been drinking? You're oddly chipper."

That's when she gave me a devilish smile. "Let's just say I found out where they keep the alcohol."