Chapter Eight

A loud creek woke me up

My eyes flew open, and I stayed still.

Someone was in here.

My eyes scanned my room for anything unusual.

Suddenly, a black blob crossed my vision, and huge weight settled on top of me, knocking the air out of my lungs.

But before I could scream 'HELP!' Or 'WHAT THE HECK IS YOUR PROBLEM!' a warm hand clamped down over my mouth, muffling my protests.

I glanced up to see the Irish-looking girl from earlier, staring down at me.

Her stormy blueish greenish eyes searched mine, trying to decide what to do now.

"Be quiet," She finally hissed down at me, and slowly removed her hand from my face.

She looked dramatically over her shoulder, and then turned back to me, a look of urgency on her face.

She held out a hand to me. "Come with me if you don't want to die."

I looked back up at her in wonder, my eyes wide.

Then I raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that from a movie?"

She scowled at me for ruining the moment, and climbed off.

I sat up in bed and looked around the pitch-black room. "How on earth did you eat out?"

"The magic of a paper clip and a bobby pin," She answered, creeping slowly to the door to avoid further creaking. "I grew up in New York, you pick up some stuff."

I quickly scrambled off the bed and followed her lead, tip-toeing to the open door. "Really? Me too!"

She looked back at me with a smile. "Sweet! I'm Aileen, by the way."

I furrowed my brow. "Ale?"

"No. Ale-lean," She corrected, her eyes narrowing. I guess it was a touchy subject.

"I'm Hayley," I smiled. "Nice to meet you!"

"You too," She said, not completely sharing my enthusiasm.

We slowly crept toward the door and peered our into the hallway.

"So what now?" I whispered in her ear.

"When the coast is clear, we creep downstairs. Hopefully they have no alarm system," She spoke, her eyes carefully searching the halls.

I went to respond, when she suddenly whispered, "Now!"

She sped into the hall, with me on her heels, but before I could get far, I crashed face-first into a wall.

Who put a wall here?

I rubbed my nose gingerly, and the wall snickered.

Wait...

I looked up hesitantly to see that the wall looked exactly like the pretty guy who knocked me out. The hat headed guy I attacked earlier was next to him, glaring at Aileen with his arms crossed.

I blinked. "That didn't work."

"No kidding," The hat headed guy scowled.

My kidnapper had the audacity to throw me a wink. "We meet again."

"Unfortunately," I muttered.

"We were just going for a walk," Aileen tried, smiling with her hands clasped in front of her.

"Yeah," Hat snorted. "To the police, I'm sure. How did you get out?"

"My secret mind powers," She shot back, crossing her arms at him.

Hat narrowed his eyes at her. "It was the bobby pins, wasn't it?"

"Maybe," She narrowed her eyes back at him.

They had a silent stare down, until Hat said, "All right, cough them up."

Aileen paused in surprise. Part of hair was currently pinned back, keeping stray curls out of her face.

"I'm using them," She said in a hard voice.

"To escape, you mean?" He asked. "Give them. Now."

She clamped her jaw shut and forced out. "They keep my hair up. Make. Me."

He shrugged. "Ok. Let me just go get my weapons. After all, I am the kidnapper here."

She stared him down again. "Fine."

She took them out of her hair, and so subtly that only I saw it, she slid one up her sleeve, and handed him the other.

"Thank you," He said. And with that, he pushed her back in her room and shut the door.

"You think you're so tough!" She shouted through the wood. "But you'll never be half the man your mother is!"

I stifled a snicker.

"Wow," My kidnapper whistled to Hat. "You sure can pick 'em."

Hat shot him a glare. "Whatever." And then to the door Aileen was behind he yelled, "And that really hurt my feelings!"

And with that, Hat stomped off to his room.

We watched him go, and my kidnapper spoke sadly, "Sigh. He becomes more dramatic by the day."

I watched Hat go as well. "Maybe he needs a hug."

I looked back up at my Kidnapper, but for a few more beats, he simply stared at the way Hat had gone.

Then, he turned to me and motioned towards my room.

I sighed loudly, but chose to make things easier and just walk in.

The moment the door shut, I collapsed on my bed and fell back asleep.