Chapter Thirty Six

"Just leave me here to die," I mumbled, laying facedown on the floor at Hayley's feet

"No way," I could practically hear the eye roll in her voice.

"What's the point of life!" I raised my voice and cried. "All you do is get let down." I paused. "And then get drunk later."

"Come on, I'll give you five minutes. Get yourself together and we'll get some food," She said.

I could hear her leave as she opened the door and her footsteps faded away.

Once she was gone I let out a loud sigh.

Life sucks.

Suddenly, I heard a loud bang from outside, and I was on my feet in a second.

I faced the window and waited.

Nothing.

Then another bang followed by an ouch.

My eyebrows raised.

I marched over to my window and slid it up, sticking my head out to peer outside.

To my surprise, Josh was clinging frightfully to a metal ladder that was propped up against the side of the house.

"Josh?!" I demanded. "What the heck are you doing out there?? You're going to kill yourself!"

What an IDIOT!

"Making a gesture!" He gritted out, scrunching his eyes closed in fear. "Just let me in!"

"No!" I said loudly. He may be an idiot, but I was stubborn. "Get down before I call the cops! Or worse- Jacob!"

"I'm scared!" He cried out. "I'm afraid of heights!"

"Then this was a really dumb idea!" I yelled back at him.

He climbed up another rung so that we were face to face, and put his hands on my windowsill.

"Just let me in please!" He begged, gripping it until his knuckles turned white. "I'm too young to die! Life is so cruel! What a world!"

"Pull yourself  together!" I demanded.

"I already see the light! I'm dying, dying!"

Then there was a knock on my door.

"Aileen?" Jacob called. "Is everything alright?"

Shoot! Another testosterone-off was the last thing I needed!

"Everything's fine!" I responded, putting in as much fake enthusiasm as I could.

He stood there. "Why do you sound enthusiastic? You're never enthusiastic."

Crap! He was on to me.

I looked at Josh fearfully. "I, uh-"

"I'm coming in!" Jacob announced.