Chapter Seventy Three

After Hayley had finished explaining what had happened, I found that I had developed a lot of respect for her

I placed a hand on her shoulder, looked into her eyes, and said, "I'm proud of you."

She flushed, muttering, "Was nothing."

Carson raised his eyebrows at Jacob and I next.

"So, what were you guys doing in that elevator the whole time?" he asked, grinning mischievously.

Jacob turned a bright shade of red while I merely shrugged. "Thought up names for our band."

Suddenly, there was a groan

We all looked down at where Jeff was laying.

He began to stir, and finally opened his eyes.

The sight of all four of us must have been pretty intimidating, and he gulped nervously.

"Hello, Jeff," I said in a hard, cold voice I had reserved for fellow criminals.

Everyone looked at me in surprise, not recognizing this tone.

"A-A-A-Aileen," he stuttered. "P-please don't hurt me!"

I laughed humorlessly. "Oh Jeff, you're so cute. I'm going to do so much more than hurt you."

He started to tear up a little bit, and I figured he had heard of me before.

I had quite the reputation on the streets.

"I know what you're capable of," he whimpered, curling up into a scared ball. "I'll do anything!"

Everyone was looking at me curiously now, but I merely sighed.

"I'm not going to do anything to you," I told him.

Relief broke out onto his face.

"But," I continued, and his smiled dropped. "That's because you aren't going to tell anyone what happened here, and you're never going to come near any of us again."

He nodded immediately, not wanting me to change my mind.

"But," I said, going down on one knee and leaning closer. My voice became lower, "If I ever see you anywhere close to Hayley or I again, my previous crimes will look like child's play next to what I'll do to you."

He broke out into sweat, and I smiled, pleased. "Now go before I change my mind."

Jeff scrambled up to his feet and took off in a mad dash, probably heading for the stairs since the elevator was out of order. And there was probably a dead body in there.

After he had disappeared, I turned to everyone else to see that they were all staring at me.

I frowned. "What?"