Bonus Chapters: The Date Part 3

Sad because it's the last chapter I'll write for this book, but happy that it is finally complete:)

I speared a ravioli on my fork and popped it into my mouth, chewing carefully.

Flavor burst on my tongue, a mix of the savory mushrooms, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese.

"Wow, this is great!" I exclaimed, shoving three more in there. "I love it!"

Jacob beamed at me, and cut into his own meal.

"Now that we can finally be in peace," he began, taking a bite of his chicken, "I wanted to know a little more about you."

I thought, chewing my pasta.

Then I swallowed, and said, "Well, I grew up an only child in a pretty bad part of town. There I learned the ways of the thug life."

He nodded. "And?"

I frowned. People didn't usually ask about my life, so this was an odd conversation for me.

"And I survived," I said, shrugging. "There's not much else to it."

He watched me, a thoughtful look in his eyes. "Surviving and living isn't the same thing, Ale."

I raised an eyebrow. "What's the difference?"

He smiled his mischievous smile. "I'll show you sometime."

For some weird reason my cheeks began to warm, so I quickly changed the subject.

"Well what about you?" I challenged, "Tell me about your life."

"I grew up with Carson pretty much always with me," he said, a small smile forming on his face as he remembered. "Since we're going to be leading one day, we've pretty much always been together."

"Your family?" I asked.

"My brother is like, ten years older, so we aren't that close," he said. "I grew up closest to Carson and my Grandma."

I nodded. I could picture that.

Then a question popped into my head.

Jacob didn't really seem like the natural-born leader type. Yet, he was going to be alpha one day.

"Do you want to be the alpha?" I asked.

For some reason, this question seemed to take him back.

He stopped chewing and put his fork down, staring at me.