Chapter Fourteen

"What's this about?" I asked, holding a book in my hands

"What's this about?" I asked, holding a book in my hands. It was big and black, but the sleeve was missing, giving me no indication of what was inside.

"Harry Potter," Carson responded, lounging in a brown beanbag chair. "That's the third one."

We were sprawled out in Carson's room after my spat with Jacob, and I was surprised to find that I hadn't yelled at ALL yet. This was a first!

Against my better judgement, I found that I actually really liked Carson.

I opened it up and squinted at the pages. But then, the book slipped out of my hands and fell right on my face.

"Ouch!" I complained, pushing it off.

He laughed while I picked the book up and put it back on the shelf. Then, when I turned back around, I saw that he was sitting on the bed, right next to where I was sitting.

"You know, I'm pretty sure that I have another laptop and some booze somewhere under my bed. Want to take online quizzes?"

"Sounds like my kind of party!" I grinned.

We scooted off the bed to crouch down on the floor.

I retrieved the bottle, while Carson grabbed the laptop from the other side.

As he turned it on, I opened the half-drunken booze, and turned to him with a frown.

"Why do you have a half-drunken bottle of booze under you bed?" I asked.

"Sentimental reasons?"

"I'll drink to that," I said. I was about to take a swing with Carson stopped me.

"There's plastic cups under my bed too."

"Another question," I said, bending over to retrieve them. "Why are there plastic cups?"

He paused. "That one I've got nothing for."

I laughed and sat back on the bed. He got back on beside me, and we opened the laptop eagerly.

~~~

"What?!" I cried out in shock, staring at the screen. "Slytherin?? This test is WRONG. There's no way I'm a slytherin- I'm so nice!"

He burst out laughing, and said, "The test is never wrong!" Then he stopped, staring at the screen of his other laptop as it processed his results. "Gryffindor! Perfect."

"We need to find another, more correct test," I said. I closed out of the app and searched up another. "Ooooh! How's this: What season would you be?"

"I've asked myself that question for my entire life," Carson answered in response.

"How about you do me and I do you?" I asked, clicking on it.

He raised a playful eyebrow at me. "How forward."

"Question one," I began. "Do you consider yourself to be an introvert or extrovert?"

We both looked at each other and said, "Extrovert."

He chose it for me while I did the same, and we moved on to the next question.

"What is your ideal weekend?" He read. "Party, quiet reading, bingeing on netflix, or hanging with friends."

"Party," I said.

"Friends," He countered.

I looked at him in surprise. "I didn't peg you as a friend guy."

"What can I say?" He smiled. "I'm full of surprises."

"Moving on," I said, selecting his answer. "Which future sounds the best? A famous celebrity, settled down with a family, doing your dream job, making tons of money, or just whatever fate decides."

"Umm... this is a tough one," He thought. "I guess just whatever fate has in store for me."

"I just want them dollars," I decided.

We both clicked on each other's answers, until the final question showed up.

"Last one," Carson read. "If you were a dessert, what would you be?"

I took a moment to scan the choices. "Ice cream."

"Cookie," He said.

I chose his final answer, and the quiz calculated his results.

Suddenly, a picture of the beach popped up with his season.

"'You got Summer'!" I grinned. "'Smoking hot and sunny, you symbolize the freedom of no school and lazy days. You're relaxed and easygoing, and like to go with the flow'."

"Awesome," He smiled. My results popped up on his screen, and he read them aloud. "'You got winter.'"

"What?!" I exclaimed. "I'm starting to feel like these quizzes hate me."

"'Frigid and cold, you can be stiff and stubborn. You like things your way, and although you are considered cool, you can come across as hard and distant'."

I frowned. "That one wasn't as good as yours."

"What can I say?"

"So what's your deal?" I asked, closing the laptop. "What's up with the whole kidnapping thing? Do you work for someone?"

"I work for myself," He said, closing his laptop as well and sliding it back under the bed.

"Do you just get a kick out of it?" I pressed, going to put mine on the ground. "Kidnapping, I mean."

"Actually, this is the only time I've done it," He told me.

"You're being vague again," I accused.

"What do you expect? I'm a criminal," He reminded.

Gee, how could I forget?

"Point taken," I said. "Now where did that booze go..."