Chapter Twenty Nine

I have had very unmagical  christmases

I have had very unmagical christmases. So you can imagine that when I woke up Christmas morning, I was in a mood.

People being happy anyways annoyed me, and therefore, Christmas was on the top of my list.

I had been awake for literally twenty seconds before a snowball crashed into my window.

Instead of flinching or jumping, I simply got up out of bed and walked over to the window.

I was getting used to Josh's visits by now, and it was almost mechanical to unlatch the window and push it up.

He was standing in his usual spot, decked out in Christmas gloves and scarves, holding a small blue box with a pink bow.

I crinkled my nose at it. "That better not be for me."

He smiled. "What if it is?"

"I didn't get you anything," I protested lightly, but was oddly touched that he got me a present.

"Don't feel bad," He said. "It's actually not that exciting."

"The thought was nice at least," I smiled down at him.

He seemed to blush slightly, and scratched the back of neck with his hand. Of course, it was probably just the cold.

"Can I come give it to you?" He asked.

I clicked my tongue, thinking. Really, what's the harm? It was, after all, Christmas. Maybe this year it would be a little better than the past ones.

"Sure," I said, surprising myself. "Why not."

"Awesome!" He grinned. "I'll be there in two."

I winked, and slid my window back into place.

Maybe this would be a good Christmas.

With a spring in my step, I made my way downstairs to the living room, where Hayley was sitting peacefully.

I flopped down on the couch beside her, getting comfortable.

"I can't believe we're here for Christmas," She mused, staring out a window.

"I can't believe we're alive to see Christmas," I added. "You know, usually something disastrous happens to me on Christmas."

She smiled at me warmly, "Maybe things are changing."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," I announced, and before anyone could stop me, I was speeding to the door.

I then threw it open to see a very smiley Josh standing, with his present in his hands.

He held it out to me. "For you."

"You shouldn't have," I accepted it and ripped it open.

The blue paper came off easily, and then I lifted the top of the box.