Chapter Sixty Five

After a while of driving, we finally arrived at my apartment

But, instead of getting out, I simply sat in the car and looked blankly at the building.

"This is going to be hard to explain," I thought aloud.

Not only that, but it was just weird to be back.

So much had happened, and I felt like a different person. I think I had changed a lot, my confidence growing, along with my willingness to participate in illegal activity (thanks, Aileen), and I wasn't sure how to readjust from all the excitement.

"It's going to be hard going back into my old life," I added, staring at my apartment.

"Hayley, this is college," Carson said from beside me. "Things are definitely still going to be crazy."

He had a point there.

I think Carson could tell that I was a bit anxious though, and he carefully took one of my hands in his, and covered it with his own.

I turned my head back to him to see that he was looking at me intently.

"Hayley, you're going to be fine," he told me sincerely. "If you managed to fight off a werewolf, I think you can handle a second semester of college."

"That was easy," I responded. "I'm taking advanced calculus next term."

He looked like he wanted to say something, then stopped.

Even he couldn't argue the calculus thing.

"You'll be fine," he promised, bringing my fingers up to his lips and kissing them.

I smiled.

"I think it's time to go." I turned around, taking my fingers back and opening the car door.

He followed my lead, stepping out too, and together we walked towards the door, my fingers intertwining with his.

As we climbed up the stairs to my apartment, I was consumed with worries.

What if she hated me for leaving her?

What if she called the police after I told her?

What if I failed advanced calculus?

What if she was still watching Eclipse?

The list of things to worry about was practically endless.

Man, those Twilight movies sucked so bad.

Anyway, we finally reached the door to my home, and I gave it a hesitant knock.

"Who is it?" a familiar voice called from inside the room.

"Hayley," I said, my grip on Carson's fingers tightening.

"Ow," he said mildly.

"Sorry," I responded.

There was a pause as Hope considered this new information.

"Hayley's been gone for a while," she said finally. "Prove it."

"What?" I said, my eyebrows raising. "That is so stupid. Just open the door and you'll see-"

"My best friend went missing weeks ago, so I'm not opening this door until I'm sure you aren't some kind of sex-trafficker."

I rolled my eyes, but decided to comply.

"You tried to set me up with Stalking-Steve before I left," I called, a small smile playing around my mouth.

From the corner of my eye I saw Carson frown at this, but Hope seemed to believe me and threw the door open.

"Hayley!" she cried, busting open the wood to see me.

She did a double take at the sight of Carson, however, her eyes lingering on his apparent muscular frame, perfect face, and lustrous hair.

"Wow," she said, staring a little. "Are you a model?"

He laughed out loud at this, her eyes growing wider at the sight of his dimples.

"My name is Carson," he said, grinning. He held out his hand for her to shake, and she did it while still staring a little.

"Huh," she said.

He let go of her hand, and noting her obvious appreciation for his good looks, he casually sling an arm around my shoulders and brought me against his side.

"I'm Hayley's boyfriend," he added.

Hope sobered up at once and looked away immediately. "Ohhhh."

I laughed a little too, but was too distracted from the perfect way Carson and I seemed to fit together.

"It's good to see you," I told her, and she seemed to break out of her trance.

"I missed you!" she exclaimed, throwing herself at me, and knocking me off balance.

I steadied myself as her arms held me tight, and I smiled again.

It was good to have her back.

After a couple seconds, I broke away and told her, "I'd better go walk Carson out, but I'll be right back."

Her face grew funny and she said, "You'd better."

With another small laugh, Carson and I began to walk back to the stairs to his car.

I had a good feeling in my stomach as he climbed back into his car.

Though it wouldn't be easy, I could explain things. Everything would work out.

Before he left, Carson lowered his windows and looked out at me.

"Goodbye, girlfriend!" He called, grinning from inside his car.

For some reason I flushed, but a large smile still overtook my face as I yelled back, "See you later, side piece!"

His face immediately screwed up and I cracked up laughing at the side.

"I'm joking," I called back. "You know you're my main."

He obnoxiously blew me a kiss and rolled up the window.

I sighed heavily as I watched his car roll out and dive away.

Time to explain things to Hope.