Chapter Twelve

After I was rudely kicked out of Hayley's room by her extremely hot Kidnapper, I decided that there was nothing better to do then head downstairs and eat some more

And just my luck, when I reached the kitchen, Jacob was still down there.

Hate that bitch.

He was seated at the kitchen counter, chomping on a crisp green apple and drinking out of a mug.

I frowned, and tried my best to ignore him.

My shoulder brushed past Jacob as I headed to the cabinet, grabbing another box of scones and sitting down at the other end of the counter.

As I tore open the box, I took a closer look at his mug, noticing how it read, 'World's Best Friend.'

"Dude," I said, "Who's been lying to you?"

He ignored me, and continued eating.

Fine, be that way.

Suddenly, Jacob pushed away from his end, and came to stand directly behind me.

He leaned against the counter beside me and sang, "I know your secret."

I turned to him and cocked my head. "That I dislike you? Because that's no secret."

"No," he replied, examining his nails casually. "Not that one."

I frowned, a bit stumped. "As you may have already noticed, I tend to have a big mouth. So whatever secret you THINK I have, probably isn't that much of a secret."

"Maybe," he said vaguely, growing bored of his nails and dropping his hand. "Or maybe not."

I nearly groaned in frustration. "Can you ever just give a straight answer?"

"Depends."

"Arrghh!"

I angrily tore off a chunk of scone with my teeth and swallowed.

"Are you stress-eating?" he asked curiously.

"MYOB," I mumbled, turning back around and biting off some more scone.

"What is that?" he asked. "Make your own bread?"

"Yep," I said sarcastically, swallowing and slamming the lid back on the container. "Exactly."

He continued standing there, watching me.

I looked over my shoulder to give him an annoyed look. "Now did you happen to want something? Or can I please eat in peace."

"I want a scone," he said, looking from me to the box.

"Here," I said, scooting the box over to him. "Have at it."

He took the box in his hands and walked back over to his end.

We sat in silence until he said, "Look Ale,-"

"Aileen," The response was automatic.

"Whatever," he said. "I think we got off on the wrong foot."

"Getting off on any feet is already pretty bad," I said.

"Maybe, But that's what I'm trying to say," Jacob continued, getting up to put the scones away, and then walking back over to me. "I want us to be friends. Or at least not mortal enemies."

He's joking, right?

"Bitch, you better tell me why I'm here RIGHT NOW," I demanded, slamming my hand down on the counter. "Until you tell me why I'm here, I'm going to be as difficult as possible."

He ignored this, and went on, "And my grandmother always told me-"

"The one you insulted?"

"Yes. She always told me to make friends. So, let me introduce myself." He took a deep breath and held out his hand to me. "Hi, my name is Jacob, I like football, baking, running, and playing Go Fish."

I looked at his hand. Then back up to his face. Then back at his hand again.

He watched anxiously as I considered.

"Um, are you gonna answer? Because my arm is getting tired..."

Maybe this could be good. Lull him into a false sense of security, then pull the metaphorical rug right out from under him, hopefully creating permanent head damage.

Finally, I took his hand with mine and gave it a firm shake.

His face lit up as I began. "Hello, my name is Aileen. I like movies, animals, pizza, and cars."

He raised an eyebrow. "Animals? What kind?"

I thought back to watching Eclipse with Paige. "Wolves, I guess. And dogs."

Something in what I said made a mischievous, secretive look cross his eyes. "I see."

He probably liked wolves too, considering in the books he WAS one. Unless he'd never read twilight.

"So... are we cool now?" he asked.

I thought to myself for a second. "You're an idiot, aren't you?"

"Maybe," he admitted. A silence passed between us. "So, do you want to hug or something?"

"No."

"Ok."

"Can I ask just one question though?" I hedged.

He considered this. "Ok, shoot."

"Does my dad owe you money or something? Because we can work something out. Believe me, you wouldn't be the first in this situation," I laughed lightly. Ah, classic childhood memories.

"That's not it," he said dismissively. Before I could question further he added, "And I can't say anything else."

"Why not?" I scowled. "Are you in a gang? Or worse- a boy band?"

This made him chuckle. "No."

He didn't explain, and I didn't press him to. Not now, anyway.

"So if you call me Ale, what can I call you?" I challenged suddenly.

A thoughtful look passed his face. "Your boyfriend?"

I couldn't help it. A loud laugh flew out of me, "BWAHAHAHA!"

He began to laugh at my laugh, and soon we both clutched our sides and bent over, the idea being so ridiculous. As if!

When we finally stopped, wiping tears from our faces, I smiled. "That was funny."

"It was a good option," he replied, a large grin on his face.

After that good laugh, we both went back to not talking, until something happened. Something terrible.

Jacob looked back toward me, his eyebrows furrowing.

Then, reached toward me, and-