Chapter Fifty One

"Why are you doing this?" I asked

My plan was currently to keep them talking for as long as possible in hopes my friends would find a way out.

"You see, I was wondering around, and I liked it here. Then someone told me I had to leave, and now I'm going to kill their family and take over. The end," He said.

That was brief. I was hoping it'd be longer.

I thought to myself. "Why go through all the trouble? Why not just find somewhere else?"

"I'm very prideful," He explained. "So when someone challenges me, it becomes personal."

"Ah," I said. And pathetically, I was already out of things to ask.

"So.. I'm guessing you're an Aries? Or Capricorn maybe?" I stammered, but they ignored me.

"So, we are going to kill you now," He said, walking forward. "Hold still."

"Wait!" I said suddenly.

They all paused, looking at me expectantly.

"Let's just talk this out," I reasoned.

Even I didn't believe that one would work.

They started towards me again, and I racked my brain for something else to do. Oh wait, I can do a handstand!

"Watch this!" I yelled, bending over and putting my palms flat on the floor. I threw my legs up and balanced on my hands.

"Cool!" One of the Guys said, then let out a grunt as someone hit him.

"Enough party tricks," The leader said.

I swung my feet back down and straightened up.

"We aren't stupid," He informer me. "Now, time to die!"

As he and the three overs walked towards me, I pointed to the leader guy in one last futile attempt and said, "Your shoes are untied!"

And as he bent down to check I zoomed around them and made a mad dash for the kitchen.

"You two, watch the door! I'll go after the girl," I heard the guy order.

My feet slammed against the floor as I raced down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Come on Hayley, fast! You can do it! You're doing great!

My inner monologue cheered me on as I ran into the kitchen.

I jumped behind the counter just as the leader caught up with me and stood on the other side of the counter.

He ran around it, and I rushed to the opposite side, keeping the counter between us.

"Come here!" He growled, trying to catch me again, but I mirrored his movement and adjusted my position.

"Can't we make some kind of deal or something?" I exclaimed as he feigned right, then went left.

"Nope!" He laughed.

Then he ran right, and I scrambled to the other side, the back soir now behind me.

Suddenly, his eyes noticed the can opener on the counter.

I tried to grab it before he could, but the man managed to snatch it first and wasted no time in throwing it right at my face.

It hit me in the forehead, knocking me back a few steps and making my head reel.

"Ow!" I cried out, "You asshole! That hurt!"

"That's what u was going for!" He informed me.

I was going to die if I didn't escape soon. Or pass out at least.

Think, Hayley, think!

Suddenly, something dawned on me.

Pancake was in the backyard.

"You know, it's quite a shame that you went through all this trouble, and you lost before you began," I said, casually trailing my finger down the edge of the counter as I slowly made my way towards the door. "It's sad, really."

He narrowed his eyes at me suspiciously. "What are you talking about?"

I finally reached the door, and my hand tightened on the knob. "I knew you were coming. And I have... THIS!"

And with that I yanked opened the door and pancake sprang into the room.

However, instead of biting the guy, he pranced around playfully, jumping on the furniture and creating a mess, before coming to a halt at my feet.

The guy raised his eyebrows.

"Pancake, ATTACK!" I ordered, pointing at him.

Pancake looked up at me with a puzzled face.

The guy chuckled. "If that's all you've got-"

But apparently it wasn't. All of a sudden, the front door opened.

Both of us looked over as a figure walked in, wielding a long, thin rod over their head.

The sun shone around their silhouette, like a gift from God.

They stepped one foot in.

Then another.

And we collectively gasped.