Chapter Sixty Eight

"So

"So..." Paige trailed off. "Who's the guy?"

I raised my eyebrows at her from our sofa. Jacob has left shortly, and we were catching up on what I had missed while I was gone.

"Who?" I asked. "Jacob?"

"He's pretty cute," she commented.

Cute? Jacob?

"So are babies," I said, "And actually, there are a lot of similarities between the two of them."

She furrowed her brow, coming over to sit down next to me. "But don't you like him?"

"Define 'like.'"

She glared at me. "Don't be difficult. Answer the question."

I sighed heavily. "I don't know, ok?"

Why was she asking me this stuff? When did I ever like to talk about my feelings?

I was not a feelings person at all.

"Fine then!" Paige sniffed. "Be that way! I'll just be in my room, feeling hungry."

I rolled my eyes as she got off the couch and headed for her room.

She could be so overdramatic at times.

Was it too late to get kidnapped again?

Suddenly, the phone rang.

I picked it up off the table next to the couch and held it to my ear. "What."

"Ale? It's me!"

I frowned. "Jacob? How did you get my home phone number?"

"Never mind that- Hayley's in some serious trouble!"

"Trouble?" I asked, raising my eyebrows, "What kind of trouble?"

There was a pause.

"The dangerous kind."

"Perfect!" I grinned. "That's just our speciality, Jacob. Tell me the address and I'll be over soon."

I copied it down on a piece of paper as Jacob recounted Hayley's address, and then I promptly hung up.

"Paige, I'm leaving!" I called across the dorm. "And I might die!"

"If you don't, bring back dinner!" She replied, and I nodded, pleased with this farewell.

Then I grabbed the keys to my car and raced out.

~~~

"FIND ME, SOMEBODY, TOoOoO LOVE!" I sang, "YEAHHHHHH!"

I pulled into the parking lot in front of Hayley's apartment, singing loudly as usual.

Once I finally parked, I stopped my car and opened the door to get out.

I wonder what trouble Hayley's gotten herself into this time.

It's a good thing she's got such awesome friends like Jacob and I to fight her way out.

As I stepped out of the car and shut the door, I started to walk forward when suddenly someone grabbed my arm and pulled me behind the front of the vehicle, facing away from the building.

My eyes widened as I was roughly slammed against the hood, and a hand slapped over my mouth.

After I overcame the disorienting experiment, I was surprised to see that it was Jacob who was pinning me against my Jetta.

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"We don't know what we're walking into," he told me seriously, looking deep into my eyes. "We have to be prepared for anything. Are you ready?"

I looked pointedly at the hand that was covering my mouth.

He flushed and quickly pulled his hand away and dropped it by his side.

"I'm always ready," I informed him. "It's you I'm worried about."

He breathed out a sigh of relief, "I'm glad it's not just me worried about that!"

I laughed and put an encouraging hand on his shoulder. "It's ok, I'm sure nothing bad will happen!"

He grimaced. "Famous last words."

Still smiling, I took my hand off his shoulder and moved it to his arm, my fingers wrapping around his strong bicep and pulled him after me toward the building. "Now come on, Hayley could be dead by now!"

"Didn't think of that," he admitted.

As he caught up next to me and began to match my pace, I asked, "So, what do you know about this situation?"

He shrugged, "Carson texted me and said Hayley was in trouble and someone was breaking in."

"Thugs," I decided. "I hate it then they break in."

"It's all up to us now, Ale," he announced. "As usual, we have to save everyone's butts."

"I mean, it's not really our fault we are so boss," I told him.

"Point made!" He agreed.

We finally walked into the building and headed for the elevator.

Right before we could enter, however, Jacob stopped walking.

I was behind him, and his sudden stop made me crash into his back.

"Hey!" I cried indignantly.

"Sorry," he told me as I walked up next to him. "It's just that... I'm afraid of elevators..."

I groaned loudly. "Are you serious? What aren't you afraid of!"

He shot me a glare, and I physically shoved him in.

"There's no time for this," I told him as he stumbled into the small box. "Hayley needs us."

He gulped, but didn't protest.

I clicked on the fourth floor, where her apartment was, and the doors shut.

Jacob squeezed his eyes closed in fear. "Tell me when it's over!"

"Sure, sure," I said, rolling my eyes.

The elevator went up the first two floors.

"See," I told him, watching as he tried to ignore the fact that he was in an elevator, "There's nothing to be afraid-"

Suddenly, the elevator stopped.

And not just, stopped gently, it slammed to a stop, jolting us both.

I regained my balance quickly, but Jacob has his eyes closed, so he fell right over.

"Ahhhh!" He cried, falling on his face.

I frowned, looking at the buttons. "We're on the fourth floor, but the doors aren't opening..."

Then I realized something.

"Uh oh." I turned to look at Jacob, who was still laying on the ground. "We're stuck."