Chapter Thirty Seven

A couple minutes later, we were all crammed in a car, and cruising down the streets of New York

Camille was driving, Carson was riding shotgun, while me, Aileen, and Jacob were forced to scrunch together in the back.

"This is not enjoyable," Aileen commented, earning a glare from Jacob.

She stuck her tongue out at him, and I smiled slightly. It was like having two children in a car.

"Where are we going?" I piped up, listening to the familiar roar of the engine.

"A little place called Arby's," Camille responded, focused on the road.

"YES!" Aileen practically launched herself upright, startling everyone. "I LOVE THAT PLACE!"

"I've never had it," I mused.

"They have amazing curly fries," Aileen smiled.

"They look like Aileen's hair," Jacob teased, pulling on a lock of it and letting it spring back out. Aileen karate chopped his arm.

"Hiya!" She said.

"Ow!" He said.

"Haha!" I said.

"Carson, do something!" Jacob urged to the seat in front of him. "Are you just going to let them beat me up?"

"Let me punch him next!" Carson cheered.

Jacob let out a cry of dismay as Aileen grinned in triumph.

"Almost there," Camille said, and the car picked up even more speed. I leaned over to see how fast she was going, and to my concern, the speedometer was inching toward 90 miles per hour.

"Camille, slow down!" I screeched, startling everyone else. "Do you want us to die?!"

"Relax," She said, not fazed in the last at my concern. "I do this all the time."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better!?"

"Oh shoot," Carson cursed lowly. "There's a cop behind us."

I looked over my shoulder, and sure enough, there was a cop car flashing at us, signaling for Camille to pull over.

Aileen's eye bulged, "WHAT?! OH NO, HELP, HIDE ME!"

Camille went to pull over on the side as Aileen freaked out.

"THEY CANT FIND ME AGAIN!" Aileen shouted, and dove into the back.

"Get back here," I said, pulling her back into her seat. "That'll be even more suspicious."

She grumbled, but complied, and I fastened her seatbelt back on.

Camille parked the car on the side of the road and rolled the window down, revealing a young looking police officer glowering down on her.

"Is there something I can help you with, officer?" Camille asked innocently.

"DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE DRIVING!" He shouted, taking me back.

"Of course I do!" Camille said. "I always check my speedometer, I'm a very responsible driver."

"YOU WERE WAY OVER THE SPEED LIMIT, MISS!" He continued, his face outraged. "I'm from the New York Police Department, and-"

Camille fake gasped. "But you're much too young to be a police officer!"

He ignored this. "Got anything illegal in there?"

"Only my good looks," Camille responded.

He ignored this as well. "-I'm going to have to give you a ticket!"

At this her eyes grew as wide as owl's.

Then, she burst into tears.

"Oh, no!" She cried out, slamming her head against the wheel repeatedly. "I'm so sorry! Please, please don't give me a ticket!"

This succeeded in making the man look awkward, and he shifted from door to foot awkwardly. "Look, miss, I'm only doing my job."

"I can't deal with this! My life is ruined! I just can't take it anymore!" She sobbed, letting her head land facedown on the wheel. Then she started ramming her fists onto the dashboard in hysterics. "Everything is a mess and I just wish I was DEAD!"

The cop looked very uncomfortable. "I-I don't think I can-"

"I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF!" She screamed. "I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF!"

The police officer looked like he wanted to die.

Camille kept crying and screaming and making odd sounds, and slamming her head repeatedly against the wheel, until he finally cleared his throat.

"I'll let you off with a warning this time," He said, wanting nothing more than to leave. "But don't ever let me catch you driving like that again."

Camille sobered up. "You have my word."

He grunted in reply, and went to return to his vehicle, when he suddenly caught sight of Aileen. "Wait a second, aren't you the one who-"

"DRIVE!" Aileen yelled, and Camille took off, but going the proper speed limit this time.

Whatever Aileen did, the police officer wasn't in the mood for chasing us, and just slowly retired to his car.

"Geez, Aileen," I said, glancing at her. "What on earth did you do?"

She looked vaguely out the window and said, "Some things are better left in the past."