22.

"I'll be right back" I said and Sawyer grabs my arm.

"Where are you going?"

"I'll be right back, I promise" I said removing her hand from me and start to walk away from her. I walk up to Dylan and he leans on his car as I approach him. "And you're here why?"

"Because I like... whatever is going on here" he laughs and looks at me. "I knew you would be the one to come to something so basic like this"

"Can you disappear from my life... please?"

"You would miss me too much" he smirks and I just stare at him.

"Why are you even here?"

"Uhh... hi" someone says and I look over to see Sawyer and Cody staring at us and Naomi behind them. "I don't think we met, I'm Sawyer and this is my boyfriend Cody" Sawyer says to Dylan. He stares at her then glances at me then back to them.

"Dylan" he said and she smiles.

"Finally meeting the guy who stole my best friend from me" Sawyer said laughing.

"Sawyer" I said looking at her.

"Uhh hey man, you coming with us?" Cody ask.

"No, he's busy" I said.

"Yea I am actually" he said and I stare at him. "You like sports Cody?" Dylan said wrapping his arm around Cody and they walk away from us. I watch them walk away and Dylan looks back at me and I cross my arms across my chest.

"Did you invite him?" Sawyer ask.

"Of course not" I said.

"Who cares guys? Tonight is about us girls doing the main thing we always do" Naomi said wrapping her arms around us. "Now, let's go get our spot" she said and we smile at her. We always go to the same spot each year to watch the fireworks. It's right in front of the lake because we like to see the reflection bounce off the water. The girls and I sat down on the grass and immediately pull out our phones. We all took pictures so we could upload them later to Instagram or something.

"Hey babe" Cody said sitting down next to Sawyer. "That Dylan guy is actually really nice, I like him" Cody says and I look up to see Dylan ahead of us standing up talking to someone.

"Him? Nice? Really?" Sawyer said.

"I mean he did basically rescue me yesterday" Naomi said.

"He also fixed your car" I add looking at Naomi.

"And he basically took care of you that one night I hope we don't bring up again" Naomi says and we laugh and I look down.

"Well... I mean if you guys like him then what the hell... why not give him a chance. Does he do brunch?" Sawyer ask and I look at her confused.

"No, he doesn't. He's still Dylan" I say.

"I don't know what that means Jo"

"Meaning... he just doesn't do brunch. Okay?" I said and they stare at me and I look down at my phone to see it was on one percent. "How is my phone about to die already, what the hell?" I said aggravated placing my phone beside me. Naomi had saw some of her other friends and went over to go and chat with them. Sawyer, Cody and I carry on conversations until the first fireworks went off. Everyone, sober to drunk starts cheering and our eyes look up to the sky as the fireworks shoot out.

Sawyer and Cody cozy up to each other and I watch as Dylan carries on a conversation with a person I didn't know. Naomi was hanging out with her other friends, which defeats the purpose of us coming together and I just sit there alone watching everything. I'm going to be a senior next year in college but yet I feel like a freshmen still in high school. It's always the same thing. Sawyer with her boyfriend and Naomi surrounded by people that she calls her friends but really are just people who keep her around for entertainment.

The wind blows and immediately goose bumps attack my skin. I shiver and cross my arms. I look down and cross my arms over my legs trying to preserve any heat my body was giving off. All of the sudden I feel something hit my feet. I look up to see a black leather jacket at the pool of my feet. I look up and Dylan's looking at me. He shakes his head then rolls his eyes and walks back over to whoever he was talking to.

I don't want his jacket. I don't want anything he gives me. But it was really cold. I stare at the jacket and roll my eyes. Fine, I'll put it on but I won't like it and I'm not going to thank him. I grab the jacket and slip it on and the smell of his cologne clogs my nose. I smile at the scent of him and just the way he is when he's not an actually asshole.

"Come on Jo, let's get closer" Sawyer said standing and putting her hand out. I stand up, putting my phone in my pocket and grab her hand and we walk closer to the lake. We walk pass Dylan and whoever he was talking to and I didn't dare look up at him. Sawyer wraps her arm around me and we laugh as we watch the fireworks.

I pull out my phone to take a picture when I realize that my phone was finally dead. Shit! Aw well, as long as I'm her with my girls. I glance back to see Dylan and he was watching the fireworks. His eyes look down at me and the shadow of the fireworks cover his face. I hurry to turn around and lean against Sawyer and she puts her head to mine.

When the fireworks end, we all did one last big cheer, screaming into the night. I look over and Sawyer and Cody exchange a kiss and I smile at them. We all start walking to the car and I look around to see no Dylan. Of course he left. It's not his scene.

"Hey guys, is it okay if I go home with Miranda and the girls?" Naomi ask coming up to us and we stare at her.

"Oh... well Cody and I are heading to his grandma's tonight we were kind of hoping you and Jo could like get a ride together?" Sawyer said. This always happens. I'm always the one who basically should have drove herself.

"Great..."

"It's not a big deal, we can drop you off Jo" Cody says.

"I mean we can drop her off too" Naomi said.

"No. It's fine. You guys just go, I'm fine. Dylan said he would take me home anyway" I lie.

"He did?" Naomi said.

"I didn't see you guys talking" Sawyer said.

"No... he did. I'm fine. I'll catch you guys later" I said walking away from them. I pull out my phone to see that it was still dead. Ugh!

"Come on, I'll take you home" someone said and I look up to see Dylan. He was holding the passenger door open. He didn't leave? He stayed the entire time. "I don't have all day come on." Did he hear me say he would take me home? Ugh, I don't want to give Dylan the satisfaction.

"It's fine, I'll find my own ride"

"Stop being so difficult and get in... please" he said and I stare at him. I shake my head and turn around to see the girls and Cody staring at me. I bite my lip and walk to the car and getting in. He closes the door behind me and gets in on the driver's side.

When he starts thecar I stay looking at my phone and he turns up the music. We didn't exchangeany words to each other, I mean what else is there to say? He doesn't like me,I don't like him and we're obviously not friends. I could always feel when hewas looking at me. I hear him laugh. "You can stare at your dead phone aslong as you want" he says. Damn, he knows I'm avoiding him. I put away myphone and I look up to see we're at... Dylan's apartment?    

Please Vote❤️