Secret Lover | Nancy Wheeler

She kissed your lips softly before staring directly into you eyes. She rested her hand on your stomach and the other on your shoulder. You were a tiny bit taller than her, so you you had to look down a little bit.

You were going to kiss her again, but a rustle was heard in the distance, so she quickly put some distance between the two of you. She noticed how upset you got. You wanted to be out. You wanted to be able to show everyone that Nancy Wheeler was yours; you didn't mean it in the possessive way just in a way so that people wouldn't try anything with her.

Steve Harrington was always trying to get at her. It infuriated you, but there was nothing you could do. Then there was that Jonathan kid who obviously liked her too.

Being gay/bi in the 80's wasn't a good thing. You would probably be found dead a minute after coming out, but you wanted so badly to tell everyone. The only person who knew other than Nancy was Nancy's little brother, Mike. He knew of everything going on between you both as well, but he kept it a secret.

After some time, Nancy caressed your cheek. You slightly moved away from her touch. It wasn't her fault that you had to hide this way, but you weren't great at controlling your emotions.

"(y/n), you know that I hate having to hide. I love you. You know that," Nancy muttered.

"I wish you'd show it more," you murmured.

"What? What do you mean?" she stepped back to look at you.

"Nancy, both Steve and Jonathan are in love with you, and you seem to be in love with that! While  both of them try to get with you I have to pretend like i'm just your friend who's willing to help them."

"Don't you wish I could come out!?"

"You don't have to, but I wish you'd show a little more love towards me!"

"I'm sorry but we're not in some futuristic world where this is okay," she motioned between the both of you.

"So, you're saying this isn't okay?" You said.

She looked at the wall, "it's not what I meant," she muttered.

"No, but it was what you were thinking," you told her.

"Look, maybe, maybe i'm just confused," she said.

"Confused? About what? About your feelings for me?" You asked.

She nodded her head in response. You felt your heart break into a million pieces. You wanted nothing more than to be with her.

"I- Okay." You took small breaths to try and calm down. You were upset, but it wasn't her fault. It's the stupid society's fault who think they could just tell people who they can and cannot love. It's not her fault.

"Nancy, i'm leaving you. I'm not sure if that'll mean anything to you, but I want you to know that you are free. I don't want you to feel forced to be with me. Figure yourself out and i'll figure myself out. Until then, I think we should keep some distance between us."

"You don't mean that, (y/n)." She tried to reach for you as you walked away.

You stopped without looking back at her, "I do. I mean it."