skater girl | max hargrove

"you are literally drooling," mike pointed out with a whisper to your ear. you wiped your face quickly, but mike's statement was only a lie.

"you're an asshole," you shoved mike away from you.

he laughed and wrapped his arm around you, "also, can you be anymore obvious? no one is going to believe you're in love with me if you keep staring at her the way you do."

"okay . . . so my casually looking in her direction is worse than your sneaking off with will?"

mike blushed heavily, "touché." he squeezed you a little too tightly.

"ass . . ." you gasped, "hole."

he laughed and released his pressure on you. you poked his stomach with your finger and laughed.

you turned again to stare at max. she was the most beautiful girl you had ever laid eyes on. never had you ever been into gingers, but there was something about her bright hair that called out to you like never before. on top of that, she was funny and she loved to skate. watching her ride her board around campus was so . . . hot? there was no word that came to mind to describe how attractive it felt for you. you could see the way others looked at her and it made you slightly jealous, but you couldn't do much against that.

in that moment, she turned and looked directly at you. you could already feel the blush forming on your cheeks. she said a couple words to the people surrounding her and then skated towards you.

"fuck fuck fuck! mike don't—" but he was already gone. he knew how much you liked max. he also hated that the two of you had to hide your real feelings. instead, you had to pretend to like each other, but everyone in the party knew the truth . . . that included max. she knew of your sexual orientation, but she had no idea that you liked her . . .

"hey y/n," she stopped her board right in front of you. she flipped her hair from one side to the other.

you tugged your short/long hair nervously. max was your friend. there was no reason to feel so nervous around her. "hey max," your voice sounded much higher than normal. damn you.

"i was wondering if you would like to go out some time?" she pulled her hair into a pony tail.

was she asking you out? on a date? no. you are friends.

"i-i um i—" you felt like a completely idiot stuttering in front of her. saying yes was not that hard, yet here you were making a fool of yourself.

she kicked her board up so that she could hold it against her body. after that swift motion, she walked closer to you and whispered into your ear.

"i've . . . heard things. long story short, i'd like to take you out on a date. a real date." there was a small smirk playing on her lips once she pulled back.

your breath hitched and you gulped. this was a dangerous game you were about to play . . . with max against almost everyone else.

"okay," you muttered while looking at her board. then, you moved your head up slowly to look into her mischievous blue eyes.