toy | part two | steve harrington

as requested. enjoy :')

A week had passed since you "broke up" with Steve. He didn't try anything to reach out to you which made you sad. Yes, you told him you no longer wanted him near you, but you secretly hoped he would give you a chance to ignore him.

You passed by him a couple times in the hallways. He would be leaning against a locker talking to his friends, but he would pretend not to acknowledge you. You kept your head held high.

"I guess the way I'm feeling is heartbreak? I thought you could only get those when you're actually with someone," you threw your head back and sighed. Jonathan placed another chip in your mouth. "Thanks," you mumbled with a full mouth.

Jonathan laughed and shook his head. Then, he became serious again. "It can suck, y/n. I know it can. You're very strong. Unrequited love is the worst form of love." He cleaned an apple that came with his lunch.

"That obvious huh?" You muttered.

"What?" Jonathan asked.

"That I'm in love with him," you turned to face Jonatan. He had a sympathetic smile on his face, "but he doesn't love me."

Jonathan stared at the table where Nancy was sitting. Then, he looked at Steve's. His back was facing the two of you. It was odd to see him in the cafeteria since he only ever ate off campus. "If you want me to be honest, I will."

You braced yourself for words that would crush you into a million pieces like Oh yeah. He's obviously still more interested in screwing Genevieve.

Instead, he said, "I don't know if he loves you. Heck, I don't even think he knows what he feels, but he definitely is . . . different around you. He's less of an asshole whenever you're around him and I've caught him staring at you with a grin on his face. Like, an actual deep look of adoration clear on his face."

Those words made your heart swell. You missed Steve. Even if a lot of the time you two were arguing about something, you missed him. You missed the little things.

He would pick you up to take you to school. He would ask you to dinner. He would offer to accompany you to a library and just watch you read. He would be with you for all the little things that people would never believe the Steve Harrington would do. Yet, he would often times blocked you out. He would let Genevieve touch him against your wishes. He would let his friends mock you about how you wished he was your boyfriend. He would be rude to you in front of them.

"Well, it doesn't change what he said at that party. All he does is try to humiliate me to make himself look so mighty," you muttered. Jonathan pulled you close and wrapped his arms around you.

Another person sat across from you and Jonathan. You moved away from him, but stared only at Jonathan. You didn't want to turn and see who it was. Jonathan only looked at you with worry in his eyes.

"Hey friends." Steve grinned. He took the apple from Jonathan's hand and bit into it. He stared right at Jonathan, "What have I missed?"

"What are you doing here, Steve?" You rolled your eyes as you turned to look at him.

God. You're so beautiful.

"Well, I was just checking in on my favorite girl." He leaned forward and looked between the two of you. Both his elbows were resting on the table and he had an adorable smile on as he bit into the apple.

"I'm not your anything, Steve. So, please do us all a favor and leave." You inched closer to Jonathan. Purposely? Maybe.

Steve noticed and furrowed his eyebrows. "Whatever then. I'll leave you two to continue eye fucking." He stood up, but then sat back down. "No, you know what? I won't. I like being here actually. So, I will stay right here."