you are you | part four | dustin henderson

you stared at steve unsure of what to say. then, you looked at dustin who was scowling at him with his arms crossed over his chest. steve looked so incredibly vulnerable in that moment, it's as if whatever you said could either break him or lift his spirits completely.

"you should go," you muttered softly, your eyes fixed on steve. you watched as his shoulders slouched and he turned to stare at the floor.

then, he slowly nodded his head and gave you a small smile. he removed his hands from his pockets and reached out for yours which you let him take. everything and everyone else seemed to disappear in that moment, it was only you and steve holding your hands.

"well, i hope you're happy." steve told you with that same, genuine smile.

"steve," you muttered, begged for him to show less sadness; you could not take the look on his face. you did not tear your eyes away from his despite dustin's "thank you!"

this is what we worked for, but not even you could believe it. the relationship might've been fake, but the laughs, smiles, and tears were all real.

he had held you when you cried for dustin. he held you when you told him about your insecurities, your fails, everything. it was steve who had been there for you despite the fact that he wasn't obligated to care for you. steve had known your worth all along not dustin.

yet, you did nothing as he pursed his lips and walked passed you. his shoulder lightly bumping into you, the same way it did whenever he was saying goodbye. only this time, his hand brushed against your slightly causing a shiver to run down your whole body.

dustin took you home and apologized for the way he had acted. of course, you forgave him. when he leaned over to try and kiss your lips, you jumped out of the car immediately.

"sorry, too fast." you had told him which he nodded to and then pulled away.

you were lying on your bed with your eyes closed thinking about everything that happened that day.

"i know so much about you and i know that i can treat you like you deserve to be treated," steve's voice continued to play in your head over and over again.

"i'm sorry i acted like i did, y/n. you were right to call me an asshole. i care so much about you and only you," dustin had said as he held his finger under your chin.

you covered your face with your pillow and groaned. this shouldn't have been as difficult as it was! once you found out about dustin's feelings it was supposed to be easy. now, you just weren't sure about what your heart wanted.

there was a small knock on your window. tap. tap tap tap. tap tap. there was only one other person who would ever knock on your window with a beat. your heart began to race at the thought of being alone with him.

you fixed your bed as quickly as possible and ran to open the window.

steve stood on the other side with a bucket of ice cream and a spoon. "i tried to give you some space, but since i'm heartbroken i would like to share some ice cream with my best friend and discuss feelings and all that shit."

"and all that shit," you repeated with a smile. all the worries from earlier that day, disappeared. steve harrington was still as much a part of your life as he had been before today. you moved aside to allow him to step in.

"ah, your room has changed a lot since i was last in here," he sighed with a small frown.

you shoved him lightly, "you saw it a couple hours ago dummy."

"by the way, your parents know i'm here, but i thought the whole window gesture would be a much better, dramatic, entrance."

"you are an idiot," you laughed and grabbed the bucket of ice cream from him. you plopped on your bed, sitting criss-cross apple sauce and opened up the bucket of deliciousness.

"your idiot," steve replied as he sat down next to you.

you looked up to stare at him and he was already looking at you with his soft, brown eyes. "about today .  .  ."

"don't." he waved his hand in front of you to stop you from saying anything more. "i just . . . i want you to know that just because you chose him, i'm not going to stop liking you like that," he snapped his fingers then continued. "i swear i didn't plan on this. i wasn't taking advantage of you or anything. i truly just fell for you and who you are and once i realized i was falling, i couldn't stop. everything that i did, i did for you. which is why i'm telling you now that i hope he makes you happy. nothing would make me happier than your happiness."

you moved the ice cream to the small nightstand in your room and inched closer to steve. slowly, you moved to place your hand on his cheek and when he did not move away, you pressed it against his face. the warmth of his cheeks spread through your whole body. steve was quiet as he watched your every move.

you got up on your knees and moved to him. your body pressed against his. your pushed him onto his back until finally you brought your lips to his. it was slow at first, with his arms gently placing themselves on your waist, but the he was doing everything to press your body against his. you pulled his hair which caused a groan to escape his lips.

you bent down and brought your lips to his cheek, chin, and neck. he was breathing heavily, pulling your hair as you did all of that. however, the sound of someone walked passed your room tore you two away from each other.

both of you were breathing heavily and with one look at each other, burst out laughing.

suddenly, steve sat up. he had his hand in a fist and waved it around, "i knew i was better than him!"

you laughed and shook your head, "you're an idiot."