cheated on you | steve harrington

you couldn't believe the words that were coming from steve's lips. it couldn't be true. it had to be some horrible prank.

you closed your eyes to fight back tears. "steve," you muttered, "please . . . please tell me this is some cruel joke."

you knew better than to get involved with steve. so many people warned you, but you didn't listen. you were so attracted to steve. it was his thing to use girls and toss them once he was bored. you thought you were different. you were able to keep him around for much longer than anyone believed possible.

you saw the pain flash across his face. you knew what his answer would be, yet you wanted him to say it again. he tried to reach for you, but you pushed him away. "i'm so sorry, baby. i promise it won't happen again."

you could hear your own heart shattering into a million tiny pieces. you wanted to cry, but you forced yourself not to. you couldn't give steve the satisfaction.

you scoffed and shook your head. you were acting much more confident than you truly were. internally, you were screaming. "you're a selfish prick. of course you couldn't even last a while without sticking your d—"

"stop! please," he begged. "you know i would never do that, not with someone who isn't you." he bit his lip and tugged the back of his hair nervously. "what happened . . . it wasn't like you think, i promise. i just wanted you to know. i couldn't live with myself if i kept this within me. i swear it was stupid and it won't happen again."

"you're full of shit, harrington. regardless, you cheated. i don't care if you regret it now." you crossed your arms and leaned against the wall.

you were glad your parents were out of town or you would be embarrassed arguing about something so humiliating while they were nearby.

"baby, please believe me. i would— i will never do it again. it was stupid. i was drunk." once more, he tried to reach for you, but you shoved him away.

you laughed heartlessly. "you of all people should know that a drunk mind speaks the sober heart, steve." it was cruel of you to remind him of nancy, but you hated him in that moment. "i don't want to see you anymore, steve."

"i messed up, y/n. please. baby, i'm begging you. i've never felt something so real with anyone else before." there were tears in his eyes.

"you should've thought about that before, don't you think? you don't go and do shit like that steve." you poked his chest angrily, "i gave my all go you! i lo—" you almost said it. you almost said the words that have never been uttered between the two of you. how could you have almost given him that power? you noticed his facial expression change. you had to get out. now. "i don't ever want to see you again." you turned and walked towards your door

"y/n, do you love me?" he asked, following behind you.

he had never felt true love for anyone, ever. he never cared to love or be loved. yet, the way he had changed so quickly for you proved to him how he felt. he just hadn't said it to you. it was difficult for him to express how he felt.

that girl he kissed meant nothing to him, at all. he hadn't even wanted to kiss her. she came on to him and he couldn't stop her in time. yet, he felt the guilt gnawing at him every moment he was around you. he felt guilty for being drunk and not being able to move away quick enough because of it. he could never imagine himself touching anyone else. you had consumed him completely without him truly wanting you to . . . at first. now, he welcomed all the emotions that come from caring for you.

he was afraid to admit that he was in love with you, but the words that he believed you almost said almost calmed him. he wanted to hear you actually say it.

your heart hammered in your chest. yes, with every fiber of my being. "no way. i could never love someone like you."

you stepped into your house and slammed the door in his face. you leaned against the door and sighed. as soon as you were out of his sight you let the tears fall. you slid to the floor until you were in a sitting position and cried until you fell asleep.