Anniversary

for lashykins

tw: mentions of death, not super bad

— • — • —

Michael let out a sad sigh as he sat up against the headboard, making sure not to wake up the blond beauty next to him. He dialed his mother's phone number and brought the device to his ear.

"Michael?" He heard his mum's voice sound through the speaker.

"Hey, Mum..is it okay if I come over later today?" He asked quietly.

Karen sniffed and paused, making Michael nervous. The silence was broken when she started speaking again, "Of course, Baby."

Michael looked up at the ceiling, trying to stop the tears from falling from his glassy eyes.

"How are you?" He asked genuinely. Michael needed to make sure his mum was feeling okay.

"Pushing through, it's the only thing I can do right now." Michael nodded, even though he knew she couldn't see him.

The older boys knew what she was going through. He had been 'pushing through it' the last year, since his grandfather had passed away. Michael couldn't fathom that he lost his best friend one year ago.

The man who Michael came out to first, even before his parents because he was terrified, but he knew his grandad would love him anyway. The man who's house Michael would spend his time after school at because it was so close to the school he went to.

Michael was brought out of his thoughts by the movement of the boy laying next to him, who was finally starting to wake up.

"I'm gonna go, Mum. I'll see you later, okay?"

"Alright, Honey. I love you." Karen replied, wanting to see her only child so badly.

"Love you, too." He said before hanging up and putting his phone on the table next to his bed.

He watched as Luke sat up next to him and grabbed his hand, rubbing over the inked spot that held the date of his grandad's passing. Michael began to tear up again from the action.

Luke looked up at Michael and moved the strands of hair that always seemed to fall in front of his face.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Michael chose to ignore the fact that Luke was awake for the whole conversation with his mum.

"Yes, please." His voice cracked as Luke pulled him into his warm embrace.

Michael was now crying on Luke's shoulder, his arms around the small boy's shoulders as he cried into the crook of his neck.

"You said it'd get easier, but you lied. It hasn't gotten any easier than it was when it happened." Michael vented as he hiccuped through his words.

Luke closed his eyes, hating seeing Michael like this. He threaded his fingers through the older boy's hair, softly running them over Michael's scalp to soothe him.

"Sometimes it takes a while for wounds to heal. You can't rush it, you just have to let it happen." Luke began to whisper little 'shhs' and 'it's okays' as Michael continued to cry softly. He needed the boy to know that he was there for him and everything would ultimately be okay, with time.

After a while, Michael pulled away from Luke's grasp and wiped his face, his face still flushed and blotchy. Luke kissed his red nose, then around his tear-stained face until he reached Michael's chapped lips.

"Let's get ready and we can head to your parents' early, yeah?" Luke suggested, rubbing his thumb over Michael's cheek as he held his face in his hands.

Michael nodded and got out of bed. He got dressed and met Luke downstairs.

When they arrived at Michael's parents' house, the older boy quickly got outside, just wanting to see his mum.

Michael led the two inside and made his way into the kitchen where his mum and dad were sitting at the island.

"Hey.." He said as he wrapped his arms around Karen's neck, unable to fight the tears that came to his eyes, even after letting it out on Luke's shoulder an hour prior.

Karen ran her hand up and down Michael's back, "It's okay, he's okay."

Michael realized his mum was the strongest woman he had ever met.

Luke quietly sat down next to Daryl, giving him a hug as a way to say a hello. Michael sat back on the chair and wiped his eyes, Karen doing the same.

"I ordered a couple of pizzas for lunch, they should be here soon." Karen said, taking Luke's spot next to Andy while Luke sat down next to Michael.

The older boy nodded and took Luke's hand in his, and began fiddling with the rings the blond had on his skinny fingers.

Michael liked spending time with his family. It always brought in comfort, and it secured him even more through this tough time.

After the family ate their pizza, Karen found it fitting that she would show Luke some baby pictures of Michael, something to lighten the mood. The dirty blond would have denied it, but he figured they could all use a laugh.

Luke let out a small chuckle as he looked at a picture of baby Michael in the bathtub. There were bubbles everywhere, and it looked like he had been squealing at something.

Michael watched as Luke looked at more pictures of when he was little, finding it hard not to smile. It was a rough day, but spending time with his family gave him strength to push through even the worst of times.

— • — • — • —

how do some people end chapters so well because i'm v bad at it