Destined To Be

soulmates feel each other's pain until they meet

— • — • —

It was like any other day for Michael; boring. He was off from work and was hanging out with Calum for the first time in a while. They were enjoying a few drinks in the comfort of Michael apartment, watching tv and ignoring the outside world.

Michael was the only one out of his friend group that had yet to meet his soulmate. He often felt left out during social situations, and just wanted to find his person. Calum knew this, and would often have 'bro nights' where talk of soulmates was put on hold.

On one of their 'bro nights', Calum was sat on the couch as Michael stood up to go in the kitchen. He stopped Michael quickly, "Can you get me another while you're in there?" He held up his beer to show what he meant and Michael nodded.

"I suppose." Michael jokingly sighed.

It happened so fast. One second Michael was grabbing two bottles from the fridge, and another second the beer was on the ground along with Michael.

Calum heard the glass hit the floor and Michael fall against the refrigerator door, and he was on his feet immediately.

"Holy sh—"

Michael cut him off with a sob, his left arm clutching his right one that seemed like it was on fire.

"What happened?" Calum was frantic and didn't know what to do.

Michael was breathing heavily, trying to control his crying. He knew what this was and it made him so upset.

"He's hurting." He cried, tears starting to fall down his face, hands still clutching his arm against his stomach.

Calum was confused, he didn't know who 'he' was.

"What? Who—"

"He's in pain." Michael said weakly, heavily breathing out.

A look of realization came across Calum's face. Michael's soulmate.

Michael continued to cry, less because of how his arm was feeling but more due to the fact that his soulmate was in pain and he couldn't do anything about it.

Suddenly, Michael was trying to stand up and Calum was stopping him.

"Where are going? You need to sit d—"

"I need to help him," Michael softly cried, trying to get out of Calum's grip, "I need to find him."

Sometimes soulmates made people think or do irrational things they normally wouldn't. Michael would do anything for the boy he never met before. Not being able to help his person who was currently in pain killed him.

"You know you can't do that, Mike." Calum said sadly, hating to see his best friend in so much emotional distress.

Calum held Michael down against the fridge as the boy continued to cry in his arms, the pain in his arm slowly becoming less as time went on, but the pain in Michael's heart only growing.

— • — • —

For the next couple days, Michael had hid himself in his room, not listening to Calum when he insisted that it wasn't healthy.

What happened in the kitchen had really effected Michael. It put into perspective the fact that his soulmate was out there with no one protecting him from the dangers that the world offered. Sure, Michael wasn't the toughest guy, but he would go to the ends of the earth if it meant protecting his person.