Love Is In The Air

valentine's/soulmate au

— • — • —

Michael felt gloomy the day before Valentine's Day as he was the only one out of his friend group that had yet to meet his special someone. All of his friends had either met their soulmate before they were 18 or shortly after. Now freshly 20 years old, Michael wasn't sure he even had a soulmate.

It physically pained him to think that his person possibly died before getting to meet him or that cupid didn't even give him one. He didn't want to be apart of the small percent that had to live their entire lives alone. Michael was already alone most of the time, being an only child. He didn't want to feel that way forever.

Michael kept his head down and tried to avoid running into anyone as he walked home from work. He passed by couples and families who were enjoying each other's company and unintentionally making him feel more lonely.

He stopped inside his favorite cafe like he always did after work and waited the long line until he reached the front. After coming to the same place every day, he knew most of the workers and their names. However, there was an unfamiliar boy behind the counter that looked flustered as he took the order before him.

Newbie. Michael thought to himself. The person in front of him got out of line to wait for his order and Michael stepped up.

"Hi, what can I get you?" The boy said nervously, like he rehearsed it for an hour before coming to work.

There was an awkward pause at first as Michael was still taking in the new worker. He finally came to and ordered his usual. He had no reason to be caught off guard when the boy asked for his name, yet he was.

"Um, Michael."

He paid for his drink and the interaction ended with the newbie saying it would be ready shortly.

Before Michael could leave the line, he caught a glance at his name tag that read Luke.

Such a pretty name, Michael thought to himself. He sat down in his usual chair and waited for his latte to be made. He continued to watch the people that came in and out of the store, not being able to help glancing back at the new worker named Luke.

Something about the way he carried himself and interacted with strangers was so attractive to Michael.

After a couple minutes of staring, he noticed Luke was staring back. Shit. Michael looked away for a second but looked back again. Why is he staring at me? Michael broke out of his daze and realized he was staring because he was calling his name.

"Michael?" Luke asked for the third time, looking right at him. Michael quickly got up and speed walked to the counter.

"Sorry about that." He tried to give a little laugh but Michael couldn't believe how embarrassing he was.

"That's alright. Almond milk latte?" Before Michael could grab the cup out of his hand, Luke gasped and dropped it onto the counter.

Michael also gasped and stepped back so it didn't spill on him. He looked up and saw Luke holding the arm that was about to hand him his drink. He was looking at Michael with a glazed over look, like he was in a trance.

He was about to ask what was wrong before he too, felt a quick sharp pain in his arm. Michael heard a giggle and turned to his right to see a cupid flying next to them with an empty bow in his hands. It smoothly flew out the cafe door, on its way to possibly hit two more soulmates who have yet to cross paths.

He turned to Luke with the same trance-like look and stepped closer to the counter. The boy smiled and came as close to Michael as he could.

"Hi," Michael said, almost too far into the trance to notice his hand was resting in the spilled drink. He picked his hand up surprised, but Luke simply took the clean one in his and led him to the back where the sink was.

As Michael washed his hands, he kept glancing at Luke standing next to him, the other boy doing the same. "I can't believe you're mine" Michael mumbled as he dried his hands.

"I can't believe I almost spilled your latte on you." Luke joked, causing Michael to smile.

"That might've been better, you would've seen me with my shirt off." Michael wasn't one to flirt and he didn't know where this newfound confidence came from.

He could see the Luke's face get red so Michael figured his attempt at flirting worked. He stepped closer to the curly haired boy and pulled him closer by his hip. Luke rested his hands on Michael's chest as they both leaned in and shared their first kiss as soulmates.

Michael couldn't get enough and pulled the boy closer, grabbing his work shirt in his fist. Luke's hands found their way to Michael's neck and face as they both tried to get as close as possible to each other.

They were surprised to hear someone clear their throat and separated to see another worker. "Why don't you stay until the top of the hour and then head out of here?" Luke's boss told him as he casually got more coffee grounds for the front.

Luke looked at the clock and saw there was only ten minutes until 5pm. He nodded and turned back to his soulmate.

"Will you wait for me in the front?"

Michael smiled, "I've waited 20 years for you, I think I can wait five more minutes."

Luke giggled and grabbed Michael's cheeks before kissing him once more. "I'll make you another drink, too." Michael smiled and stole another kiss from his boy. They walked back to the front of the cafe together to find it almost cleared of the previous crowd.

Michael sat down in his usual spot again and watched his pretty soulmate take another person's order. Luke couldn't help himself from looking at him every few seconds and giving him a smile that Michael could get used to seeing everyday.

— • — • — • —

a little early for valentine's day but idc

thoughts?

does anyone have any requests of one shots i haven't written about yet?