Ilomilo

inspired by "ilomilo" by billie eilish

she said it's a about a game where the two characters, ilo and milo, are separated and they hug when they're reunited and that's literally the game

vote & comment :D ily

— • — • —

Luke pulled his blanket up to his face in search of comfort as he stared at his computer screen which showed his love looking back at him.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night consisted of Luke and Michael sitting in front of their computers and facetiming each other. It was always at night for Luke and early morning to afternoon for Michael, as they were thousands of miles away from each other.

"Hey, bug." Michael said softly, causing Luke to smile at his nickname.

"Hi, baby."

Michael got settled on his bed, "How was work?"

"I had a good day, there was a cute little girl who was fascinated with everything, she just wanted her mom to buy it all." Luke told Michael about his job at a grocery store.

Michael smiled, "They called me in today, I wasn't supposed to but someone called in sick."

Luke frowned and dug his face in his pillow, "What time do you have to leave?"

Michael looked at his phone and sighed, "About thirty minutes, I know we just started this, I'm sorry."

Luke didn't say anything and Michael could tell something was wrong. "What's the matter, baby?"

The curly haired boy shook his head. "Nothing."

"Luke."

He still didn't say anything but began to let his eyes accumulate with tears. Michael saw Luke's face get red and him biting his lip.

"Baby—"

"I miss you." Luke choked out and brought his blanket up higher.

Michael's heart broke as Luke started crying again. Lately, the distance had been affecting him more than usual. This was the third night where Michael had to sit and watch his boy break down in front of him and it killed him.

"I know, baby, I know. I miss you so much."

Luke rubbed his eyes which made his face look even more red and irritated. "I've never even met you but I miss you so much."

"You know I'm trying my best right now. I'm saving everything I can from my paychecks to come see you." Michael reminded him.

Luke continued to cry silently, soft gasps sounding through Michael's computer, slowly breaking the older boy.

"I'm sorry, bug. I don't know what to do." Michael felt himself getting worked up and he really didn't want Luke to see him cry.

"It's not your fault," Luke took a deep breath, "These are just the cards we've been dealt. I'd love it if you were in the same country as me, or vise versa, but that's just not gonna happen."

"Don't say that, it'll happen one day."

That didn't seem to cheer Luke up, who was trying to hold back his tears. Michael saw the boy check his phone and bite his lip.

"I think you have you get ready." Luke said softly.

Michael checked the time and internally groaned because yes, he had to start getting ready for work. He really didn't want to leave Luke feeing like this, especially right before he went to sleep.

"I love you, Luke, so much. I'll call you after I get out, okay?"

Luke nodded and sniffed, trying to smile for his boyfriend. "I love you."

— • — • —

Luke was starting to feel a little better later in the month. They tried their best to talk as much as possible from opposite sides of the world, especially with Luke trying to finish college and Michael earning a living and some extra to visit him.

The curly haired boy knew it would be a long while before they would meet, but he knew that the moment they were in each other's arms for the first time would be worth the wait.

Luke was on his way to class with his mom and brother after having lunch together. They were passing by the park that Luke always walked by on his way to class when his mom stopped them.

"Can I take a picture of you boys, it's such a nice day out and the flowers are blooming."

Her sons groaned but complied; did they really have a choice?

She took so many pictures of them, Luke wondered how much storage she had left on her phone. When she was done, she gave her phone to Luke so he could see the pictures.

He was disinterested as he looked through the pictures, until he saw another person in the background.

Luke looked through more and zoomed in on the man behind him and his brother. He was the most confused when he saw Michael standing behind him in the picture.

Luke looked at his mom and gave back her phone. "Wha—"

He looked around and his heart swelled when he saw Michael, living and breathing only twenty feet away. Luke didn't know how to feel, didn't know what to do, so he cried. He stayed in place as Michael walked over to him and brought him into his arms.

Luke dug his face into Michael's shoulder, his arms still pressed between himself and Michael. He felt the older boy's arms around his shoulders, holding him tightly.

"Hi, bug." Michael softly said, rubbing his back soothingly.

Luke tried to stop crying, he really did. But he felt so overwhelmed and didn't know any other thing to do.

"Mikey." Luke said, still not believing he was there.

Luke stepped back from Michael's hold to look at his smiling face before throwing his arms around Michael's shoulders tightly.

Michael kept a tight grip on Luke's waist. He too, couldn't believe this was happening.

Again, Luke pulled away to see Michael face, only to bring him into his hold once more.

After a few minutes of hugging, Michael nudged his head against Luke so he would look up at him and once he did, Michael leaned in and pressed their lips together for the first time.

Luke couldn't even describe how nice it felt to be so close to his love. It was what he had been waiting to do for over a year.

After almost ten minutes of tight squeezes and little kisses, the two boys pulled away and Luke turned toward his mother.

"How long did you know? I-I...How?" Luke was confused on how his mom was able to keep this from him.

"I may have given him some money to help with the flight."

"Some?" Luke questioned.

"It doesn't matter, just give me a hug."

Luke quickly hugged his mom and kissed her cheek. "Thank you so much."

Liz pulled away, "You're welcome, honey. I'm just glad to see you so happy."

Luke went back over to Michael and attached himself to his side once more.

"I assume I'm skipping class today?" Luke asked with a giggle as Michael pressed his lips to his forehead.

Luke's mom nodded and sighed, "Don't get used to it."

— • — • — • —

i'm sorry that was such a bad ending

just in case i need to specify, michael lived in australia and luke in america :D