Chapter Twenty Two

Julian's POV

I was sleeping good. Better than good, actually. I didn't have school to go to, so I was used to sleeping in. I did this more because my mama took all my stuff. The only thing I could do now is either stay inside and play or go outside.

I felt someone constantly hitting me, and I was getting annoyed. It had to be early. I only got annoyed being woke up when it was too early for me. I could hear Nana's voice telling me to get up.

"Whaaa?" I groaned as I opened my eyes to look at her. She was wearing a pair of sweats and a tee shirt. She was wearing that more to sleep because Daniel kept sleeping with her. Why couldn't sleep in his room? I never liked sleeping with my mama.

"Get up," she told me.

"Why?" I know a lot of people got in trouble for asking that, but I was really curious. She didn't mention anything yesterday.

Mama eyed me a bit before turning on her heels to walk out. "Get up, and be ready in an hour. We'll get food from Burger King."

I let out a deep breath before getting up. It was eight o'clock in the morning. Why was I getting up so early? I didn't like this one bit. It was summer break!

I knew if I wasn't ready in an hour, mama was going to flip, though. I really didn't like getting her mad. It was almost like she didn't think when she was mad. It was scary, and my mama wasn't always like that.

I took a bath and put on a Polo outfit. I didn't like wearing Polo that much, but my mama liked to see me in it. She always said that it reminded her of when she used to dress me.

"Ma?" I said as I began looking for her. She was in the kitchen, hugging on my da...Shawn.

I liked Shawn, but he wasn't a good role model for me in certain aspects. I had learned what he did and I didn't like it. I didn't like him as much anymore. I didn't want him with my mama, but she liked him a lot.

"You ready?" My mama asked me. I nodded my head, still not knowing where we were going. I looked at Shawn briefly before following my mama to get her stuff ready to go.

I quietly got in the backseat as we drove to Burger King.

"What you want?" She asked me.

"French toast and hash browns."

"Orange juice?"

"Yes."

I liked this side of mommy. She didn't need Julius breathing down her back. We could just be normal. Even though the lady at the window was acting weird, mommy didn't worry about it.

"Don't waste nothing," she told me as she handed me the greasy bag. Food was one way to take my mind off of where we was going. I heard Rihanna's song come on the radio and I couldn't help but miss her. Rihanna was fun. I don't know why Shawn left her.

We pulled up to this place. I didn't know what it was, but mommy told me I get out, so I did. I followed behind her and into the building. It was pretty inside. They knew how to decorate.

There were a few other kids, but I didn't want to talk to anyone. Mommy went to the front desk and asked for a woman named Shaundra. Who was Shaundra?

I turned around and a pretty woman came out. She had on one of those suits that guys usually wear, but hers was pretty for a woman.

"Okay, you're going to go with her. Do you want me to go with you?"

"Ma, I'm seven," I reminded her.

It was something she always did. I liked to go certain places by myself, but she liked being around. My mama nodded her head and I went back with the pretty lady.

We walked into her office and she closed her door. Her office was really pretty.

"How are you?" She asked me as she sat down.

I shrugged my shoulders.

She laughed softly, and shook her head. "You want anything? Juice?"

"I just had Burger King."

"Really? What did you get?"

"French toast sticks."

"Where's mine?!"

I laughed and rubbed my stomach. "I was hungry."

She laughed at my joke. "What's your name?"

"Ms. Shaundra. Yours?"

"Julian. But people call me Ju or JuJu."

"Well nice to meet you, Ju. How old are you?"

"I'm seven. I turn eight later in the month."

"Any plans?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I usually have a party."

"Usually? You're not having one this time?" She asked me. We were sitting on some bean bags and they were really comfortable. I liked that about this place.

"My mummy's mad at me, so I don't know."

"Why is she mad at you?"

I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't like talking about the trouble I had caused. I didn't mean to do it. But Danny and Shawn made me mad.

Ms. Shaundra let out a deep breath when I didn't answer her. "You don't want to talk about it?"

I shook my head. "Does that TV work?" I asked, pointing to the flat screen on her wall.

She nodded with a smile and handed me the remote. "What is this place?" I asked her as I looked through the guide.

"A happy place."

"What are you watching?" She asked me.

"Tom & Jerry."

"You like it?"

I nodded my head. "A friend I always watched it together."

"Why not anymore?"

"I don't see them anymore."

"Why not?"

"Is my mama around?"

Shaundra looked a bit shocked. She was asking too many questions and I didn't like it. I knew what her job was. She was one of those doctor people. She was pretty, but I didn't want to tell her my business.

"Ju, do you want t leave?"

I slowly nodded my head. "Are you going to be mad at me?"

Shaundra smiled at me. "No, sweetie. I understand. Are you going to come back to see me?"

"Can you come to my birthday party?"

"Sure. What kind?"

"Skating!"

Shaundra laughed. "I can't skate."

My mouth flew open. I thought all the grown ups knew how to do everything! "Really?! I can teach you!"

"Fine! I'll go. Just tell your mother to invite me. What do you want for your birthday?"

I smiled at her and shook her head. What I want, I knew I couldn't have.

She didn't say anything about my silence, which I liked. She showed me where my mommy was and we both went over to her. I was asked to stand aside as they talked, and I could see my mother's disappointment with me. Well. She should've told me where I was going.