Chapter Thirty Two

Today was the big day for my baby boy. He was turning eight years old and I was more than excited. I loved birthday parties, especially kid ones. I was like a big kid, and I was glad that Julian always chose good themes. Invitations were sent out two weeks to all of the people he wanted to show up, and practically everyone RSVPed.

I woke up and went to do my normal duties in the bathroom. I went into Julian's room and jumped on his bed, causing us both to laugh.

"Maaa, moooove!" He laughed as I started tickling him.

"Nooo! It's your birthday! Get up!" I laughed before getting off of his bed.

"We going to breakfast?" He asked me.

I nodded my head. It was always a little ritual that we went to breakfast in the morning and then went shopping for anything that he wanted. It was his day to be spoiled, so I allowed it to happen.

"Your dad called," I told him softly.

We hadn't seen Shawn since that dreadful night. He'd call every other day, but it was mainly to talk to Julian. Our conversations were a bit dry right now.

"Is he coming to the party?" Julian asked as he sat up.

"Of course!" I reassured him. "He wouldn't miss your birthday party for the world, you know that."

I didn't want this whole space thing between Shawn and I to hurt his relationship with his son. I knew that deep down, Julian loved his father. His next appointment for the therapist is tomorrow. We figured that it would be a good opportunity for him to go after a big and happy event like his birthday party. It would give them something to talk about. Julian was also adamant that I invited her, as well.

I left my baby boy's room and went to Daniel's. The boy slept so cute, it was almost like you didn't want to wake him up.

"Danny," I cooed as I sat on his bed and started shaking him.

Slowly, he started waking up. I waited for him to finally get a sense of his whereabouts before speaking up.

"Get up so we can go to breakfast, okay?" I asked.

He nodded.

"You know what today is?" I asked him.

He just looked at me.

"It's June 11th! Ju's birthday."

I don't know what came over Daniel, but that boy flew right past me and I could hear Julian's screams. I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head. The boys really didn't take more than 30 minutes to get dressed, I was surprised.

We ended up going to a diner called The Red Flame Diner.

"So where we going after this?" I asked Julian as we sat with our food. I had ordered a ham & cheese omelette with potatoes and toast.

Daniel had French toast with ham, while Julian decided that he wanted steak & eggs with grits and toast. I could admit that the boy knew how to eat.

Julian shrugged his shoulders at the question that I asked him. "Can we go to the Apple store?"

I nodded my head. I knew that he wanted a laptop, so I didn't see the point in wasting anymore time with that one. After we ate, we went to the Apple store and Julian picked out the new MacBook Air.

I knew that if Shawn were to see me getting a MacBook for an eight year old, he'd flip out. "Okay, now we gotta go home so everybody can change."

The party was going to be starting in about two hours. Luckily, Kelly was making sure that everything was perfect. It was what she did every single year. She's be at the place making sure that everything went smoothly. If there was no call from her, nothing was going wrong.