Chapter Twenty Seven

I drove back home with the children in tow. I had noticed that Shawn had stopped following me once he realized that I was going home. I was honestly going to rip him a new asshole if I ever got in contact with him. That was foul, immature, and insecure. We pulled into the driveway and everyone got out.

"Mama, what you cooking?" Julian asked me as I unlocked the door. I went to turn the alarm off as I thought about it.

"Enchiladas with fried rice," I answered after a while.

"Go take baths and I'll cook," I told the boys. They both dashed to their rooms while I locked the door and began starting on dinner. I figured that I'd make them some chocolate covered apples as a small dessert. I was all about snacks in the house, and even homemade snacks. We had a whole pantry full of snacks, so no one could holler about there not being anything that they wanted.

As I was cooking, I noticed that Shawn was blowing my damn phone up. It was really annoying, honestly. If someone doesn't answer the first two or three times, don't call back. I scoffed and finished everything as they came back down and sat in the dining room, instead.

"Y'all trynna be fancy?" I asked them as I began fixing their plates.

"What y'all want to drink?" I asked.

"Apple juice," Daniel answered.

"Sprite," Julian responded.

I shook my head and began pouring their beverages. The doorbell rang. "Ju, go see who that is. Don't open it until I tell you to," I told him.

Julian got out his chair and walked to the door. "It's Daddy," he told me.

I rolled my eyes and sat the drinks down on the table, and started walking to the door. "Go eat," I told Julian as I opened the door.

"What?" I asked Shawn.

"Can I come in?" Shawn asked.

I looked at him as if he had lost his mind. "Are you serious right now?"

"Yes..."

"Why are you here, Shawn?" I was getting a bit annoyed by now. I was learning how to control my anger, but I wanted to fight Shawn right now.

"Because I want to talk, Bey. Can we be adults and do that?"

His tone. It was like he was comparing me to a child. I didn't like to be condescended. My eyes narrowed and my glare was fierce.

"Don't talk to me like that," I warned in a low tone.

Shawn surrendered by putting his hands up. "Can we talk, please Bey?"

I rolled my eyes and walked away from the door. There was always a weakness when it came to Shawn. I loved him, and I always felt obligated to allow him get his way a bit.

"Y'all eat and when you're finished, you can get one of chocolate apples out the freezer, okay?" I said.

"Okay, Bey Bey," Daniel said with a mouth full of food.

I laughed softly and went into my office with Shawn. It was a place that I knew we could talk and not have to worry about any distractions. My office was the one place that was truly off limits to children.

"What do you want to talk about?"

Shawn let out a deep breath. "I was wrong for last night," he flat out said.

There was a smirk on my face. "Which part, exactly?"

"All of it, Bey. I was wrong for coming here that late. I was wrong for arguing with Julius. I was wrong for what I said to him as well."