1

When you hear of New York, what comes to mind? Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State Building.

But all sixteen year old Jennifer Smith could see was buildings with faded brown paint, trash on both sides of the road and graffiti on the walls. It was definitely the poverty stricken and dangerous neighbourhood, the one that no one tells you about. She was poor but she had no regrets because her family was by her side.

With much hesitation she finally stepped down of the taxi and gazed around warily. The gloomy sky made the atmosphere of her new residence appeared duller. She clutched the hem of her dress and stared at this old building whose painting is fading away. Cold breeze slapped her face, making her hair fly over places.

This destitute county called Brooklyn is going to be her new home, she thought.

"Jenny sweetheart, do you mind carrying one bag at least," her elder sister Jacqueline pleaded.

But before she could take it, their elder brother Jaden grabbed the bag. "I'm not letting my baby sister suffering by the burden of this boulder."

Jacqueline rolled her eyes and paid the driver. They climbed the stairs with frowns on their forehead since the elevator in this ten story building was broken and unfortunately their newly bought apartment was on the ninth. Jennifer touched her sister's shoulder to grab her attention so as offering help but she denied.

She knew that her elder siblings pampered her but sometimes she wished to be treated like an equal.

Jaden unlocked the door but ordered his sisters to stand outside as he needs to verify the apartment first but Jacqueline being the fearless tomboy that she is, disobeyed him and entered too. Jennifer hesitated and waited patiently. Less than a minute, Jaden arrived and told her to come inside.

The apartment was pretty small. It had only two bedrooms, a small kitchen, a living room, terrace and a connected washroom. Jaden started to clean the house at once while the two sisters began to unpack.

Jennifer was arranging the clothes in a neat way while Jacqueline had already made a mess in the room.

"Damn, I can't find it. Have you seen my umbrella? It's raining and I have to go out to get us food while Jaden cleans this awful place," asked Jacqueline but Jennifer just shrugged her shoulders.

She continued to search through the luggage but still couldn't find it.

"Jenny can you please check on the stairs, who knows it might have fallen down while we were coming up?" She smiled at her big sister and left at once.

The building looked quite old. The walls were dirty and some parts were even covered in graffiti, some doors of the other apartments were broken and due to the rain, water was leaking through the wall. However due to their current situation, this is all they can afford.

Jennifer stepped down the stairs cautiously and kept roaming her eyes in all directions.

She focused and finally saw it on the stairs of the seventh floor. She heaved a small sigh of relief and bent down picking it. But before her hand could reach the umbrella, someone stepped his foot on it. She remained still for a few seconds and then lifted her eyes to meet a pair of gorgeous blue eyes staring at her with a grin on his face.

She stood up and raised her head to look at him as he was at least six feet tall.

"I never saw you here before. Did you recently move? My name's Liam, what's yours?"

Keep a distance from strangers. It's the key rule set by her siblings. Even though he looks physically handsome, Jennifer had no interest in acquainting with him. She turned to leave but before she could take another step, she was slammed against the dirty wall.

Liam caged her, placing both hands beside her head and addressed in a resentful tone, "No one turn their fucking back on me."

Her breathing turned heavy and tears slid down her cheeks.

"I'm being nice to you why can't you do the same?"

Jennifer tried to push him but he grabbed her arms and held them above her head. She shivered under his touch. Liam made an attempt to kiss her but she struggled and kept on crying as she didn't want her first kiss to be stolen by a pervert. Eventually he got pulled off from her violently and fell down the stairs.

Jaden.

She hugged him tightly as if her life depended on him. Jaden held her protectively and glared at Liam, eyes burning with fury.

"You don't know who you just messed up with," Liam threatened with a hysterical voice and wiped off the blood from his forehead.

Jennifer held her brother's arm tightly while tears continued to stream down her cheeks.

"This isn't over," said Liam before storming down.

Jaden took her upstairs and comforted her. "You don't have to worry about him. I'm always here for you."

Jacqueline was shocked when he narrated everything.

"Why didn't you inform me brother, I would have gotten a chance to show him my martial arts." She replied proudly.

"Calm down and don't forget that we are new here. We don't know anyone and we have to start our life anew. I'm going to lodge a police complaint against him in case he comes back but till then let's pretend like nothing happened."

It was easy for Jaden to say but Jennifer couldn't forget him and especially everything he said.

The rain intensified by each passing second. For couples, it's a romantic time, an occasion to express their love. But for Jennifer, it's an emotional moment. She stood on the terrace with cracks on its wall and let the rain mingle with her tears. She felt like her misery will never end despite changing towns. Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all the darkness but Jennifer couldn't come to the conclusion that the terrible days were finally over.

Somehow it felt as if, like a sixth sense telling her that her unexpected encounter with Liam might be just the beginning of the forthcoming troubles.

She disliked the feeling.