23

Taking time, Jennifer's eyes opened only to be greeted by a white ceiling fan going three hundred and sixty degrees fast but it didn't provide a cool breeze. It was a beautiful good for nothing object. Her hand went to her head that was aching too much. She tried sitting up and knocked a glass on the floor while doing so.

"What happened?"

The young man from earlier stood up startling, the book that was lying on his stomach fell down with a thud. It appeared as if she had broken his slumber. Jennifer shamefully watched the broken pieces of glass and the water smeared down.

"It's okay, I'll clean it."

He must have sensed an uneasiness in her that he instantly smiled and rushed out to bring cleaning equipment. She leaned against the head rest and brought her knees to her chest, pushing the comforter away from her body. She has been through much that she had forgotten how much a few hours of sleep could be beneficial to her health. However, glancing at the window the sun was setting in a tangerine tone.

She has lost consciousness for a whole day.

Jennifer waited him to clean the mess, following his every movement. Once done, he took a seat opposite of her at the edge of the bed.

"I'm Theo Walker," he said, offering his hand.

She gave him a small smile and shook his hand gently, pulling hers without wasting another moment. Up close, he looked even more handsome with his carefree appearance.

"If you want to communicate through sign language, go for it. I will understand because I'm an ASL teacher."

For a moment, her face washed blank with confusion, eyes widened in astonishment. If she suddenly starts talking, he might think that she is an imposter and every word her sister has written would be falsified. Forgetting that she had ever said a word, her fingers moved to ask a question.

Can I shower?

Theo laughed. "Of course, it's downstairs. I'll make sure it's proper for a young lady and put a clean towel for you."

She smiled as usual for conveying that she agrees on something, it's positive, of course or simply gratitude. When Theo left, she placed the suitcase on the bed and removed the clothes. There were six outfits in total, three for each sister.

Jennifer took her sister's dark blue hoodie in hands. Tears welled up her eyes, inhaling her scent that would fade soon. She didn't even know if someone or the cops have taken care of the body or she would get a funeral or not.

Everything felt sinister in her life until she heard his voice. "It's done, you can come now."

She couldn't exactly tell him that he is an angel in disguise for her. He is someone she never knew that she needed in her life even though she has barely known him. An ASL teacher, which means he deals with people like her every week of his life. He understood her professionally.

Taking her clothes in hand, she made her way downstairs where the bathroom was at the far end of the place.

"Take your time, I'll get dinner ready."

Jennifer stepped inside and hanged her clothes on the rack behind the door. Theo's house was modest enough for a family. Nothing extravagant, the simplicity was what gave it a homely feels. She closed her eyes and the droplets of water sprinkle on her head.

But everything worse she has witnessed and experienced played like a slideshow. Jennifer opened her eyes at once, her tears mixed with the lukewarm water. Even she found a ray of light in the form of Theo, the darkness that Liam had put her into will always be there to haunt her presence.

Theo, a complete stranger who she shouldn't even be meeting somehow managed to bring a smile on her face. Jennifer can't thank Jaqueline enough for the letter she has written. It's only because of that, she has found a support in her dire needs. For sure it's temporary but in the right time.

Wearing her black pants and Jacqueline's hoodie, she rubbed the towel against her hair and dropped it in the laundry basket.

Like said, Theo has dinner ready. The semi rounded Montrose table of four seats was full of food.

"I made some deep fried chicken nuggets, French fries and a very basic salad. Plus I have three slices of pizza and chickpea stew as leftovers. You can eat whatever you want."

Thank you

"No problems at all, take a seat."

Jennifer sat opposite of him and filled her plate. She was starving as if she hasn't eaten in days. The exhaustion and grief had completely taken a toll over her mind. Unlike Theo, she ate faster, probably than usual.

"You are welcome to stay here Jennifer. I'll talk to my agent and try to find out about the Harts."

She nodded.

"I'm sorry so much had to happen to you. As long as you're here, I'll accomplish what your sister has asked. I'll protect you from the Reeves brothers."

Jennifer couldn't hint anything. Emma's family has tackled with them once but Theo has no clue about their power. The Reeves brothers are dangerous and can go to any length. Was it worth to risk his life?

You don't have to. You are already doing too much for me.

"It's nothing. I don't know what happened but I know it's not right so you can count on me. I'm an orphan too Jennifer. I know what it's like to live a life of solitude and I've been living it for a few years now. With you here, this building feels like a home. It's the least I can do."

Jennifer stopped eating and lifted her eyes.

"I'm sorry if I said something inappropriate. I rarely have anyone over, I must have gone overboard."

It's totally fine. Don't you have friends though?

"Not exactly."

After dinner, Jennifer insisted on washing the dishes. A little dispute started but he finally agreed when she threatened she'll live under a bridge or on a bench in a park. She finished the chores in no time.

Theo was sitting in the living room, focusing on the news displaying on the plasma TV. Jennifer stood behind him and observed in shock.

"...We have information that the cause of the fire has been due to tampering of wires. Reeves Club that used to be Upper East Side millionaires hanging spot has been reduced to ashes. We still didn't get the owner Alexander Reeves on hold. The security is very tight at Mr. Reeves mansion. Everyone is mostly mourning for the young heir Liam Reeves who happens to be one of the eighty-seven victims at the incident..."

The rest became blurry to her ears as she took a step back and collided against the wall. This is what Jacqueline has been planning all along but at what cost. Karma hit her back instantly.

Oh Jacqueline, what have you done?

"Jennifer," Theo called her name. She didn't even realize that he had already turned the TV off and was looking at her intently.

"Are they the same people that your sister has mentioned in the letter?"

She nodded once like she didn't want to.

"Well, you're safe now. You don't have to worry about Liam Reeves anymore. He is gone from your life."

Maybe but blood is still thicker than water.