5

Jacqueline handed a cup of coffee to Jennifer and patted her back slowly.

"I know that it's not even been a day but I have to go search for a job. Our situation isn't permitting us to grieve, do you understand?"

Jennifer looked at her and nodded.

"Good, so you stay at home, locked the door and I've prepared some chili sauce earlier, already added it in a spray bottle so all you have to do is to spray it on his eyes, ears, mouth or even his junk."

Jennifer smiled and hugged her immediately. "Be careful, little sis."

Once Jacqueline was gone, she started cleaning the house though there wasn't much to do. Groceries were almost over and they were on the edge of bankruptcy. Maybe Jacqueline wouldn't like this but she is determined to find a job too.

Jennifer took a shower and wore a black dress, denim jacket, black sandals and a floral scarf. She took some money with her and locked the apartment.

While walking, she saw beggars exploring the dustbin, drunken men lying on the road unconscious, a fruit vendor arguing terribly with her customers and some teenage boys around her age playing football on the road. She walked as fast as she could until she spotted a yellow cab. She waved her hand high in the air and it stopped.

She handed the driver a piece of paper where she had written the address where Jacqueline is going for job hunt. Along the way she noticed that New York was much better and richer compared to the part where they were living. She even started dreaming about dwelling in one of those apartments. Their lives would have been upgraded; there would be no misery, only happiness.

"Ma'am, we have arrived," the driver's voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she paid him.

She started walking along a crowd and kept looking at all those branded shops where she'll never be able to afford a thing unless she finds a job too. Now she felt more determined to work than ever.

Upon entering a mall, a smile formed on her lips by watching its grandeur and luxury. People were all walking around, kids were running and couples were even seen making out.

She removed a paper from her bag on which 'Is there a vacancy?' was written. She entered a huge clothing shop and glanced at all the sparkling dresses with a tint of jealousy in her eyes. If only she could buy it, she thought.

Lost in her thought, she collided into a young girl with black bob cut.

"I'm so sorry," she said.

Jennifer smiled at her and walked till she reached the cashier and showed her the paper.

The lady looked at her with a boring expression and shook her head in negativity. Jennifer however smiled at her and proceeds to leave. But the moment she arrived at the door of the shop, an alarm buzzed. She stopped and glanced at it while the security guards and other employees rushed towards her.

"Hey you, stop there."

Feeling totally panicked, she stopped on the spot and glanced at them. One of the security guard grabbed her arm and said, "I'm sorry ma'am but we can't let you go."

"Search her," ordered the manager angrily. But Jennifer prevented the security guard from touching her any further.

"Ma'am you can't do this, she is a girl and only a girl can search her," said the cashier to the manager.

"Fine then you do it," she yelled.

They all walked further inside to the shop till they reached one of the dressing rooms. Jennifer stayed still while the cashier verified her body and then her bag. However she found three belts in it.