17

The sunlight disappeared, replaced by the dark sky and twinkling stars. Jennifer felt exhausted after running in an unknown city. She had hid behind shops, trees and walls but each time she felt like his pair of perverted eyes was constantly watching her so she couldn't stay hiding for long.

Walking past by bulky men and group of young boys made her heart raced with fear because they don't see a girl crying but a toy dressed in a sexy top and shorts that they can take turn to play.

Turning her head to see if someone was following her or not, she thought luck favored but when she looked ahead, a speeding car stopped in front of her in the nick of time.

Jennifer had stood still and closed her eyes; waiting the painful collision until she heard her name.

"Jennifer, are you alright? Where were you all this time? We were searching for you everywhere."

Opening her eyes, they fell on a familiar muscular man. It was Chase, Alexander's bodyguard who looked more like a prisoner with his muscular arms covered in tattoos, hair always tied in a man bun and his tall frame. She had seen him a few times at Reeves Club, threatening people. But all she could tight now is staring into his deep brown eyes. She couldn't understand. She didn't know what to do.

"Jennifer," he said her name silently and approached her.

She could have taken a step back or run away but somehow he wasn't scaring her at all right now even though he looked at her from tip to toes, taking his time. Her body language, disheveled hair, sweaty face, bruises on her hand and the tear stained cheeks were the proofs.

He wasn't sure but he doubted.

"Who was he?" He asked her in a low voice.

Jennifer broke into a fit of sobs when she realized that he saw right through her. He was able to see her pain. Launching herself into him, her arms went around his torso, hugging him tightly and she cried.

Chase felt himself paralyzed on the ground. A shivering thought crossed his mind. How could he comfort her with the hands he murdered her elder brother?

He was a jobless low class man with no family. Alexander sheltered him. In return he did all his dirty works including the murders of innocents.

No one has ever hugged him, sharing their pain with him. A guilty conscience arises in his heart and his arms went around her shoulder, holding her close to his body in a way that reassured her that he was by her side. He can never be her elder brother, not after the crime he has committed but the least he can do is shelter her from that monster even though he had been a little late.

Chase removed his black jacket and draped it over her body. "Sshh, don't cry. I'm with you."

He helped her sit in the car and buckled the seat belt for her. Placing his hands on the steering wheel, he contemplated. Liam is in the city so might be his goons while Alexander had only summoned Chase here, the others were local and can't be trusted as they'll change side like socks if given more money. It wasn't wise to take her to Alexander's beach house in case Liam decided to attack there.

He drove and stopped at a cheap motel earning a questioning look from Jennifer.

"Don't get me wrong Jennifer but I don't think it's safe for you to go to Alexander's mansion right now. If Liam's here, that means he is not alone. The informers had spotted him at the airport. Before we could get to him and bring him to our boss, he found you first. I'm sorry that had to happen to you. Let's wait for tonight and I'll find a way to get to Jacqueline."

All she could do is, give him a little smile.

Stepping down of the car, Jennifer voluntarily held Chase's hand and stood as close as possible near him. He understood her fear as there were several men that looked not so decent were walking around. Arriving inside, the owner at the motel eyed them with a weird look.

"One room," he asked.

He knew what was going on in her mind but he had no other choice as well. He will earn her trust. The owner handed him a key.

"Enjoy your stay," he said not before eyeing Jennifer and smirked.

If Chase didn't need a place to hide right now, he would have shot all six bullets in his gun on this man while imagining Liam's face. As they walked towards the room, he assured her that being in one room is for her safety only.

He opened the door and let her entered first.

"You don't have to be afraid me, Jennifer. I'm not one of those men, I'm not Liam. You sleep on the bed; I'll sleep on the carpet."

She nodded and handed him his jacket back before sliding under the comforter.

Sleep was too far for either of them. Chase and even Alexander knew that Liam can go to any extent but they didn't know that this time he might be successful in achieving what he wants. He should have put him in an asylum when there was still time.

Jennifer had covered herself completely with the duvet but her sobs didn't die. He kept on hearing her crying. Chase wanted to comfort her but she needed her personal space.

How much could have Liam hurt her?

The question roamed in his mind.