28

Jennifer sat in the retro styled room of the fifties vibe motel, remote in hand changing channels mindlessly. She had nothing else to do even though there were many places of attraction in this vicinity of Washington DC. The least she had done is have a tour around the place before staying in the room locked.

Veronica didn't waste time and drove to Washington last night. She managed to get them two rooms with separate beds after asking in eight different cheap motels in the middle of the night. They all stayed in the motel except for Chase and Theo who went out to get them lunch and dinner during the day. Today it was Veronica who had gone out with Chase while she still stayed in the motel, on the point of losing her mind from the confinement.

"Jennifer, it's me." Theo said after knocking.

Tossing the remote aside, she stepped down and rushed to open the door for him. Time to bid loneliness and boredom goodbye; he smiled at her and sat on her bed because Veronica's was still messy.

"A little chilly but still it's a lovely day."

I want to go out.

"Veronica said..."

Who cares? She might be acting like my sister but she is not my sister.

Theo changed the channel to Nat Geo that was showing a screening on nearly extinct predators. He glanced at Jennifer who had her arms crossed beneath her chest, ready to pounce on him with claws, looking like the fierce lioness on the LED screen.

"She cares for you and I also think that you are much safer in here than out there. It's not even been two days completely and you are already enraged. We are not on vacation, Jennifer. We are running from dangerous people."

Feel free to back out.

"Just because I'm supporting her view, you can't tell me that. Coming with you guys was my choice so I get to decide when I back out."

I'm losing my mind in here. Please, at least for one hour only. I won't go far, just around the motel.

Before he could answer, Veronica and Chase arrived, bringing in McDonald's again.

Wasn't there something else?

"What did she say?" Veronica turned to Theo who has become the official interpreter till the trip last.

"Thank God you arrived soon. I was hungry," he translated, causing Veronica to chuckle and emptied the contents of the bag on the table while earning a deadly glare from Jennifer.

Sitting next to Theo on the bed, Jennifer chewed on the Big Mac little by little unlike Chase who was on his third bread. Judging by his bodily size, he surely needed food much more than them to survive a day.

"Veronica," Theo called out, hoping he'll speak in her favor. "When will we leave from here?"

"Well, I've booked for five days. After, we can move to Virginia, stay another five days. Move to another state and stay for five days."

"You mean we are on the run forever?"

"Yes, let's pray Alex doesn't find us and kill us first."

Jennifer swallowed her food like its non-edible. The room's ticking clock was what prevented a complete silence. Being fugitives won't be only her life but Veronica, Chase and now Theo as well. Right now, Veronica has money, she can afford to rent motels for all of them, pay for their food but nothing can be say about the future if they can't stay at one place.

Theo's ringtone broke her trance. She put the little remains of dry bread into the small box and sipped on the cold drink.

"What? Are you sure?" Theo asked, startling all of them as they watched him in pure fear. "Thank you for informing me. Yeah, I know I should have checked my phone. Thank you once again."

"What happened?" Chase asked, standing up from the comfy armchair.

"Alexander called my broker, asking about Emma's family. I'm sure he must have figured out that I'm with Jennifer. The plan to stay here for another three days is cancelled Veronica. We need to be on the move."

"Like right now?" Veronica asked, propelling her to an anxiety.

"Yes. Alexander called him last night and if you say he'll stop at nothing then he has gained an advantage on us."

"I'll get the car ready, meet me outside," Chase announced walking as fast possible outside the room.

The peace was over before it even started. They should have known he is coming but didn't expect it would be too soon.

Jennifer slipped on her hoodie and wore her shoes while Veronica stuffed everything she had removed into her small suitcase haphazard. Going down to the concierge she claimed that she had to leave as her grandmother fell ill suddenly. The young woman pitied her but they had a no-refund policy and at that time every penny counts. Dread owned Jennifer, keeping her teeth tight together as she had very little money compared to Veronica.

"Please, it's an emergency or else I wouldn't have to leave. I'll give good review about your motel online, please," she begged but to no avail.

"I'm sorry ma'am but rules are rules."

"Fine, take the money to your grave then. Have a nice day."

The two girls walked outside with their luggage where Theo placed them in the trunk and took the passenger seat next to Chase who bolted down the road, almost to the speed limit.

"Where do we exactly go, Veronica?"

"South," she answered, running a hand through her flawless hair.

Jennifer felt guilty for misunderstanding her. She wasn't related to her in anyway yet she risked her life and savings to help her from Alexander. Touching Veronica's hand to grab her attention, she pulled her into a hug, feeling as if she gained a sister.

She felt soothed and protected feeling Veronica's hands around her, just like Jacqueline would do whenever she felt scared or on the point of breaking down.

"Don't worry, I won't let him hurt you," Veronica said, caressing her hair. Her voice calmed her for a few moments but no one knows what awaited them in the future.