21

With blackness fading away, the mist was visible and looked silvery. Reeves Club suffered tremendous loss which can be easily covered with insurance or personal assets. Paramedics, media, police and fire trucks have surrounded the area.

Alexander sat on the pavement with his back collided against the wall. His dark green eyes glimmered with tears. Seeing the burnt body of his little brother taken away on a stretcher, his entire body covered in the white sheet except for his hand covered in blisters of red and black made his world crumble into pieces.

He lost the last member of his family.

He sniffed, regretting the fact that despite Liam has done enough damage; he still invited him for Reeves Club anniversary in honor of his father who made them successful. If only he had ignored him, remembering all the worst, he would have been somewhere ruining lives in New York City instead of an ambulance. He would have still been alive.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Liam had yelled when he spotted Alexander in the old building where he was living.

"Reeves Club has reached its tenth year so I want you to be there with me."

"Your two precious girlfriends won't feel bad?" He mocked.

"They are gone. I searched for them but I don't know where they went. Please Liam, for the sake of our father and business partners. I don't want them to think we are quarrelling. They'll take advantage; you wouldn't want that, would you? After all, I'm still more powerful than you."

Liam knew the minds of the corrupted men they dealt with and certainly they might sniff trouble.

"Fine, I'll be there for your sake only. Once done, I'm returning back here."

"Deal."

He stared into oblivion, silent tears wetting his cheeks. This was the worst deal he ever concluded.

Using a clean handkerchief from her clutch, Veronica wiped the black smoke that had smeared on her cheeks after she made sure everyone was finally out and safeguarded important documents that luckily haven't been touched by the fire. The loss was colossal but that won't be a problem for Alexander as insurance company and his black money would do the magic. What truly affected him was Liam who was among the unfortunate souls who didn't dash out on time.

She couldn't imagine how he must be feeling.

It was a very compromising situation for her as well but when she compared the positivity and the negativity of Liam, she could only sympathize for Alexander, wishing him a brighter future without that little pest in it.

She walked past the people doing their respective jobs and placed her hand on his shoulder. "You need to leave Alex. Go home. I'll take care of everything with the help of whoever is left."

She helped him standing up and before she could pull him into a hug, someone called her name.

"Veronica."

Turning, they came face to face with a medium height girl with a bob cut.

"Yes?"

"My name is Sasha. I used to work with Liam," she said. Veronica nodded not knowing what else to say.

"The person who had caused the fire is dead."

Alexander's liberal opinions and emotional generosity were gone. He swore he would have found that person and killed him mercilessly. His fists stayed firmly by his sides as he stared into Sasha's soul.

"Who?"

"Jacqueline Smith"

Alexander blinked, feeling unsure whether he heard well or not. When he realized that this girl is saying the truth, his face became red with suppressed anger and guilt, realizing he lost two of his beloved in one night. He didn't know what happened in Brazil causing Jacqueline to go missing as well. When they couldn't find the two sisters, he returned to New York with guilt, praying for their safety but he didn't know that she hid well only to reveal herself in the last moment and destroyed everything he has built.

Not being able to blame his brother, his own blood for starting this battle over a simple attraction, he put all his thoughts on Jacqueline. He has never loved any girl except for Jacqueline and she betrayed him the worst way possible.

"Her sister Jennifer managed to escape on a train heading to Philadelphia," Sasha said causing Veronica to eye her shockingly. If she could kill this black haired girl right now, she'll do it.

"She won't live long," said Alexander.

"Alex, please, Jacqueline did this and she is dead. Jennifer is innocent," said Veronica, hating the dark look that prevailed on Alex's face. He never spares his enemies but for once she is rooting for the enemy.

"My only brother is dead. And if I'm right, Jacqueline killed him because of Jennifer so how can you expect me to let the reason of my brother's death live happily ever after when I'll be mourning no matter how long. She can't stay alive."

"She is a poor mute girl who lost her sibling too. Be reasonable."

"Is it because you had to separate from your mother that you don't care my brother is gone?"

"Alex, that's not what I..."

Grabbing her arm harshly, he bore his face into hers. "Mute or not, grieving or not, poor or not, Jennifer Smith is my enemy and I deal with all my enemies the same way. You can either be on my side or step out of the way."

Veronica observed him moving towards his car, the bodyguards clearing the way for him from the paparazzi.

"He is actually right you know," said Sasha before giving her a smile and left too.

Veronica remained still. Alex will never believe what Liam had done to Jennifer due to which Jacqueline had to take such a drastic step. Especially now that he is dead, he'll have the misconception that she hates Liam with a passion and that's why she is on Jennifer's side. Fear overwhelmed her body in a different way and she remembered her mother's words.

"The most dangerous man is one who's got nothing to lose."

Right now, Alexander Reeves is that person.