22

She always wanted to speak and now that she has found her voice back, there's no one to hear her.

Jennifer has been living all her life as a mute; she didn't know that witnessing her sister dying mercilessly would result into a shock, an extreme pain, a scream that will bring her voice back. But then she had no use of this voice. She has always been quiet and can live quiet for the rest of days.

Wiping her cheeks, she stared at the window.

At this time of the night, the train was almost empty. In the compartment where she sat, had only five people in total including her. The woman who had rushed to her earlier, a mother with her baby who kept crying constantly and a middle aged man who snored heavily were her companions on this journey of sorrow.

The train screeched rapidly into motion to reach its destination on time. But Jennifer didn't know if this trip leads to her endpoint. She doesn't even know why she is in this train and going to Philadelphia anymore.

It was Jacqueline's idea but why there out of all places. Who is there who can keep her safe?

The Amtrak train rolled past empty fields, lakes, dark residential areas, walls with giant graffiti that glowed under the light and warehouses giving an eerie vibe.

She couldn't sleep and she couldn't cry anymore. The tears were dried up. Reality knocked her hard and the sooner she get used to the fact that she is an orphan now the better. But then again, her dead sister wouldn't take a decision in a rash, there had to be something that she was missing here. Jacqueline knew she was walking into a suicide mission hence explained her mysterious behavior in the last moments.

Fishing the latter's small grey suitcase under the seat, she placed it on the empty spot beside her and turned the key in the lock. On top of their clothes, there was a white envelope where her name was written in Jacqueline's beautiful handwriting and on the other side an address. Taking a deep breath, she opened it with utmost care and read the letter.

My name is Jacqueline Smith and if you are reading this letter, it means I'm dead.

You don't know me and neither do I know you but I know what happened to Emma. Just like her, the girl who has handed you this letter has fallen victim at the hands of Liam Reeves. She is my younger sister Jennifer. She is mute and right now an orphan with nowhere to go.

Emma had her family who took revenge on Liam but Jennifer has none. I request you to give her shelter and protect her from the Reeves brothers.

Please think of her as your own. Think that Emma is back and running away from the man who has abused her. Please save her.

She folded the letter, put it back in its envelope but placed it in her bag pack this time. Anger seeped from the bottom of her heart to hear more of Liam's vile acts. She could only hope that she is the last girl to have been ruined by him.

Finally arriving at 30th Street Station, Jennifer wore her bag pack and pulled out the handle of the suitcase. She hurriedly got out, hesitated a little when she almost collided into a stranger. Jogging up the yellow and green stairs, she found herself in a grand hall with its five story high windows and Art Deco chandelier looking completely stunning at two in the morning. The place wasn't empty unlike the train.

Jennifer walked towards an empty wooden bench, used her bag as a pillow and closed her eyes to try to get some sleep. It would be rude to show up at someone's house when they are in deep sleep so she decided to go in the morning. However the scenarios of her sister getting beaten to death kept flashing in her mind. She couldn't sleep at all. She brought her knees to her chest and sat letting the world take its time to begin another normal day.

At seven in the morning where men and women in business suits with coffee or newspaper in their hands, couples with their suitcases and casually dressed women with their chic bags were hurrying up to catch their respective train, Jennifer knew the time has come for her to meet Emma's family.

Showing the taxi driver the address on the envelope, he nodded.

"That would be forty-five dollars."

It was too expensive but Jennifer didn't have any choice as well. She reluctantly gave him a fifty dollar bill and kept her eyes on the window while a foreign song blasted from the radio. About three months ago, she came to a new city for a fresh start except everything turned upside down. Today she is about to accomplish the same, not knowing whether she'll be welcomed or not or in worst case what she had gone through was only the beginning.

The car stopped at a quiet street in front of a large one story house with grey and white bricks and a garage attached. The driver gave her the suitcase and sped down the road.

Feeling nervous, Jennifer walked to the porch and rang the doorbell. She had the letter in hand to give to the first relative of Emma who would open the door.

A young man about six feet tall with brown hair and light beard came into view. Jennifer blinked at him, studying his face for a few seconds and then extended her hand to give him the letter. She wondered if he is Emma's brother.

"What's this?" He asked.

Jennifer said nothing and rocked her eyes between his face and the letter. It didn't take him long to figure out that she wanted him to read the letter. Eventually, he ripped the envelope and opened the page.

"My name is Jacqueline Smith and if you are reading this letter, it means I'm dead," he read aloud, realizing after a few seconds what he just read. He instantly glared at Jennifer's exhausted face whose eyes are brimming with fresh tears.

He let her stand on the porch and went inside with the letter in hand.

Jennifer pressed her fingers in her eyes and wiped off the tears. She waited for about five minutes until he arrived again, looking a little disturbed.

"Jennifer," he said. "I think your sister addressed this letter to the ancient owners of this house, the Harts. I don't remember exactly but I think they had a sister called Emma who died around five or four years ago as told by the real estate agent. I bought this house from them."

Jennifer breathed heavily looking at him.

"I wish I know where they lived now."

Her eyes grew heavy from excessive agitation of the brain. Jennifer felt weak like hope has lost for her. She wanted to meet those people at least once whether they took her in or not but she wasn't ready to hear they have moved away. Was it because of Liam? Jacqueline mentioned that Emma's family took revenge on him.

"Are you alright?" He asked but his voice sounded distant while he stood just a few feet from him.

"Jennifer," he yelled.

She felt his arms going around her waist, pulling her close to his body as she fell into a deep slumber.