24

Liam Reeves funeral was attended by the city's most elites and media, common people who were being controlled by the police to not approach the closed ones of the deceased. Everyone's tear stained gaze was focused on the perfectly polished, wooden brown coffin that was being gently lowered in the grave.

To the world, he belonged to a respected family but only a handful knew his true nature.

Alexander stood next to his secretary, avoiding other people. Low sobs escaped from him time to time. He told himself to be strong but he couldn't. The despair was never ending and the thought of the culprit being alive somewhere in Philadelphia made his blood boiled.

He didn't wait for the grave to be completely covered and left.

Arriving at the mansion, he ordered not to let anyone in here. He didn't want sad for one day socialites cramming into his home when he needed a moment of peace. He went to his room, threw his black blazer on the neatly made bed, opened a bottle of wine and poured himself a complete glass which was more than usual. He drank to his heart's content, occasionally laughing while tears slided down his cheeks.

"Alex," he heard Veronica's voice that turned the knob of the door and entered the room. His eyes roamed from tip to toes on her black velvet pencil dress. Remembering their argument he looked away.

"How dare they disobey me?"

"They know that I'm not only your assistant but a friend too," she said, her high heels annoying his ears as she came close enough for him to know that she's wearing her Miss Dior perfume.

"Leave me alone," he said, pouring another full glass.

"You know I can't."

He smiled at her and brought the glass to his mouth. "Only for today, from tomorrow, you'll be by my side. We have meetings planned about the renovations of the club with everyone."

"Alex you don't have to hurry into business. Don't use work as an excuse to escape from your pain."

He placed the now empty glass on the table and glared at her.

"What else do you want me to do?"

"Talk, share your feelings, open up."

Alexander stood up and moved to the far end of the room. As usual, the grey clouds started taking its place in the sky for another typical rainy afternoon in the city. He expected to be feeling tipsy but didn't so he now lit his cigarette. He almost stopped smoking when he fell for Jacqueline but now he can't wait to inhale the poisonous smoke, letting it wander freely in his lungs. Veronica didn't move from her spot and kept looking at him.

"When I was standing at the graveyard, my eyes caught a grave that wasn't quite far from Liam's. Do you know who that person is?"

"No."

"Emma Hart. Her name was paled on the white stone and then I remember, her brothers didn't want to travel with her body as it would have already been three days old so they buried her right there. That struck my mind. Emma's family is from Philadelphia and that's exactly where Jennifer has gone. She didn't even know her family lives there then did she go to Philadelphia? I kept wondering how the fuck Jennifer knows about Emma?"

Veronica's face paled. Crossing the distance, he wrapped a firm hand around her neck and pinned her against the wall.

"I can't believe you turned out to be the black sheep, Veronica. You act sexy and smart in my presence but consulted with my enemies behind my back," he yelled in her face.

"Chase," she shouted and pushed him away with all her force.

Alexander stared at her confusedly when Chase rushed into the room looking at both of them.

"He knows," she whispered and before Alexander could say a word about this unexpected moment of betrayal, Chase punched him hard in the face. Dots formed in front of his heavy eyes that closed when his head hit the cold tiles.

Crying, Veronica hugged Chase who ran his hand down her back, comforting her.

"What did he do?"

"He tried to strangle me. He found out that I'm the one who tipped them about Emma's family."

They stayed still for a few minutes in each other's arms. Alexander sprawled unconscious with a purple bruise at his eyes and nose. Veronica broke apart first and took a few steps back.

"We have to leave from here. He knows we helped them and the moment he is up, he'll kill us both."

"You're right but we can delay him. Is there sleeping drugs somewhere?"

"Liam's room. The doctor has prescribed him and his room had remained untouched since he left home."

"Get it now," Chase ordered.

Veronica rushed there and opened the door. She felt a little weird from the reigning silence in the place where dust has already covered the table and chair. Fully knowing that he is never coming back, she opened the third drawer in the wardrobe and selected the syrup one as it hasn't expired yet.

Chase opened Alexander's mouth while Veronica put three spoonful of the syrup in it.

"Dump the entire bottle."

"Are you crazy? If he dies, we'll be the first suspects. The media is covering his every movement since the party. Three is enough to put him asleep for a day or two."

Chase picked him up and dropped him in the middle of his bed. Veronica removed his shoes, placed a pillow under his head and covered his lower body with a duvet. In case, a maid or a guard comes for a tour on this floor, they'll see that he is sleeping.

"Where do we go now?"

"For now, Philadelphia. I have to get Jennifer on the move because Alex will go straight for her the moment he is up."

Chase looked more solemn on hearing her name than Liam's funeral. He still felt guilty and knew he'll never be at peace until he sought Jennifer's forgiveness.