30

Dread reigned powerful in the old room.

Gripping the floral curtain, almost to the point of tearing the vintage thing apart, Veronica could only fix outside. She had no courage to look at them in the eyes. All those years of loyalty spent in vain. She did everything for Alexander and today he threatened of shattering her into pieces.

"Veronica"

She heard Theo say and placed his hand on her shoulder in the sense for comfort. Biting hard into her lower lip, she dried her tears and turned to face him. Jennifer and Chase had both stood up and were looking at her, fear present on their faces just like her ex-boss would have wanted.

"We have to do something, right?"

Theo said, looking at the stunned faces around but none of them had an answer. Alexander made his point quite clear. Only a miracle can save them in an hour.

The sound of the outdated telephone ringing made Veronica gasped out loud as they all stared at it in horror. Debating whether they should pick it up or not, Chase grabbed the receiver, letting the silence take control once again. He brought the device to his ear and listen.

"Veronica, is this you?" He had expected to hear Alexander's voice but instead was greeted to the voice of an unknown woman. Still, he wondered about this stranger having the phone number of this room and knowing exactly that Veronica would be present.

"Who are you?"

"Mrs. Celestia Diaz," she replied. When Chase said the name to Veronica, her eyes popped as if she has seen an alien and snatched the phone from his hand.

"Mom," she muttered, eyes pooling with tears while the phone held closely, almost hurting her ear.

"Cómo estás mi amor?"

"Te extraño, mom."

"Don't cry. Even though I'm miles away, I'm still close to your heart so I want you to wipe those tears and go back to being my strong daughter. If Alexander can get to you so can I."

For a moment, Veronica had forgotten that the clock was ticking fast. But then her mother, being the last person on earth she could have expected to call her in the moment of despair knows that her daughter was in deep trouble.

"How do you know?" She asked.

"Alexander isn't the only one with power or has a strong link to the underworld. Today I maybe not the woman you once called mama but you're still my child. I'll help you get out of there."

Veronica knew from her mother's words, timing and tactics that she has indeed changed. Listening carefully of the risky plan, she had to put it into action at once. The deadline would be over soon.

Once she put the phone down, Chase and Theo bombarded her with endless questions until a loud shut up actually shut them up.

"Will you let me breathe?"

"We have half hour, this is no time to chill," said Theo.

Veronica explained her mother's plan in the least amount of words possible while acknowledging rise of eyebrows, occasional smiles and a sense of fear at the same time. The hardest part was to leave the inn.

Taking a deep breath, she said, "The only way to get to the basement is go through the lobby where Alexander or whoever is waiting for us to get down there. We need to cause a distraction."

They all looked at each other waiting for a plan.

Jennifer walked towards their bags were kept and opened Chase's one instead. Pulling out his lighter, she waved it in the air.

"You want to cause a fire just like your sister?" Veronica said, not believing the words coming out of her mouth.

Let us show the bastard that he can burn to hell just like his brother.

"What did she say?" Veronica asked. Looking conflicted, Theo blinked several times before turning to Veronica. "This is our only shot."

"So be it then," said Chase, snatching the lighter from her hand and walked out of the room. Theo kept his eyes on his watch, twenty two minutes more.

They waited, anticipation killing them when an alarm rung loud in the silent place. Screams started coming out from the other rooms. Chase opened the door and grabbed his bag urging them to do the same. They joined the other customers of the inn, running for their lives. At first they thought the place was empty but while sprinting though the corridors and staircases, they discovered that it was mostly filled with odd looking couples.

In simple words, the inn was a silent whorehouse which explains its cheapness.

While the fire set by Chase roared into the building, spreading through the old woods, they made it successfully to the basement and run through the dark tunnels. Theo never let go of Jennifer's hand while Veronica took the lead. They all simply followed into her footsteps.

Like instructed by her mother through the phone, they made it successfully out where a man was waiting for them.

"Veronica Diaz?" He asked and she raised her hand, confirming it's her.

"We need to get to Williamsburg International Airport. There are your tickets and fake passports to get you through."

Despite the plan being risky, they knew that they had no other choice to escape Alexander. Fear and excitements settled in their bones. Arriving at the airport, they checked in separately except Theo remained with Jennifer, holding her hand at all times. Even the young girl at the counter called them a cute couple.

"Don't mind her; I'm pretty sure she was trying to overcome her night shift."

I didn't. I actually liked the compliment.

Theo's mouth twitched, trying hard to fight a smile but she noticed. Laying her head on his shoulder, Jennifer watched the plane moving slowly.

They were all scattered around in the economy class of the plane except for Veronica who was relaxing somewhere in first class knowing all about her mother's adventures through the man who rescued them.

"Have you ever been to Havana?" Theo asked her.

No

"Me too but who knew that through you I'll get to go to the place where my parents first met."

Jennifer at once raised her head and smiled at him. He gently swung his arm around her shoulder and placed her head back in its original place.

"Economy won't be as bad as it looks like when you have a lovely companion with you," he said almost in a whisper before yawning and placing his head on hers.

Seeing them together brought a proud smile on Chase's lips.