18

The strong smell of alcohol burnt Jacqueline's throat as she entered the bar with Veronica. It was still too early for a drink but the latter was determined to cheer her up.

"Two glasses of whiskey please."

Veronica ordered much to the annoyance of Jacqueline. She felt guilty for being irresponsible, for breaking the promise of always being there for her little sister.

"I'm not in the mood. Let's go back. My sister is missing and I'm –"

"The police, Alex, Chase, his allies in Copacabana are all searching for her. You need to stay strong. They will find her."

She placed the glass in front of Jacqueline and waited for her reaction. There was no escape so she grabbed the glass and tried to gulp in one-go but ended up coughing.

"Slowly."

Jacqueline kept on drinking with her, drowning in liquor to remove the misery and remorse. Her worries started fading away as both women laughed loudly attracting attention from other drunkards but they didn't care.

"So you used to like Liam?" Jacqueline asked and started to laugh.

"I still like him in fact I would have loved him if he hadn't turned into a sociopath."

A blurry memory appeared in Jacqueline's mind. He was normal before becoming crazy in love with a certain someone.

"Tell me about Emma. I know you're the only person who knows the Reeves brothers like none other."

The smile from Veronica's face disappeared as she adjusted her dress and sat uptight with a blank face. It's been so long since someone has raised the touchy topic of Emma.

"Five years ago Emma came to New York for higher studies and used to work at the cafeteria across the street of Reeves Club. She was a blond, medium height, soft-spoken voice, blue eyes. What I'm trying to say is her attributes are a little similar to Jennifer."

It came as no surprise to Jacqueline why Liam was suddenly interested in her sister because she reminded him of Emma.

An unexpected encounter turned into a fatal ATTRACTION.

"Liam stopped drinking alcohol and started drinking coffee. Most of his time was spent there, observing Emma's every movement until the day he told her that he liked her but Emma rejected him because she had a boyfriend. Liam was heart-broken but he didn't abandon so he started stalking her until one day Alex caught him trying to kiss her forcefully. He slapped Liam and hugged Emma to comfort her. That's when Liam started turning more hostile because his elder brother was a hero in her eyes while Liam became the villain."

History was repeating. Jacqueline felt like whatever happened to an innocent Emma might occur to her sister as well.

"What happened next?"

"More whiskey," Veronica ordered. The bartender smiled at her and said careful before going away. But she knows she can't stay sober to blurt out the haunting truth as she partly blames herself for what happened to Emma.

"Veronica, stop it."

"No I have to get really drunk."

Jacqueline waited her to finish her drink while constantly checking her phone for any updates from Alexander.

"So like I was saying, Emma befriended Alex because he promised he'll make sure Liam won't be a trouble anymore. He invited her for his birthday at the mansion. Those days Liam was keeping to himself. We all thought he moved on but that night he gave a proof of his character."

Everything started feeling like a déjà-vu for Jacqueline.

"Seizing an opportunity, Liam tried to force himself on her. She screamed but no one heard her. Everyone was partying, living in the moment. It was purely luck that Alex had sent me to fetch Liam. When I opened the door, he was on top of her, holding her hands. Her bare shoulders were exposed and tears were running continuously down her cheeks."

Jacqueline couldn't forget the state she had found her sister after Jaden's funeral. Liam was determined to destroy her sister's dignity.

"I don't want to know any further."

"You should because we haven't got to the best part yet."

Veronica bit her lower lip and took a deep breath. It's the next part that had held her like a slave tied to Alexander's life and illegal businesses.

"Liam was shocked when he noticed me. He got off of her and said the cheesiest line ever. 'It's not what it looks like.' Like I was a fool and didn't understand. Emma pulled her sleeves up and run, brushing past my shoulder so fast that I almost fell. Liam stared at me like an idiot and realized what he had done. I ran after her. Chasing her through the party but she didn't stop."

Tears rolled down Veronica's cheeks. She wiped them off with the back of her hand and looked at a dismayed Jacqueline.

"She got hit by a speeding car that happened to be driven by my mother. I didn't know who to blame; Liam for causing Emma to have a breakdown or my mother for killing her."

Jacqueline pulled Veronica into a hug as she burst into tears. Her body trembled between her arms. Emotional pain flowed out. Wracking sobs resonated in the bar full of people but everyone minded their own business.

"Everything got messed up because of a freaking attraction," she said in between her sobs. Jacqueline let go of her and she dried her tears.

"Alex gave my mother tons of money and forced her to leave New York forever. I don't know where she went. She never called me. It's been five years and I've never heard a word from her."

Jacqueline's full focus remained on her, evoking every word.

"Emma's death was made looked like she was hit by a mysterious person. Her brothers came in town and attended her funeral instead of taking the body to their home in Philadelphia. Alex, Liam and I were there. The looks they were giving to Liam proved that Emma had spoken to them about his misbehavior but they didn't know it will lead to her death. They assumed it was Liam who had killed her which explains why he is mentally unstable today."

"What did they do to him?"

"One night, they cornered him in the alley next to Reeves Club and beat him. Blood covered his skin. We all thought he will die anytime sooner but he recovered. It took him months for his health to become normal or what we had thought. Gradually, he distanced himself; he talked to his reflection in the mirror, played with toys. He started acting like a weirdo and the doctor confirmed the blows that he was given on his head had caused the malfunction of his brain which means he can be both normal and abnormal from time to time."

Jacqueline found herself in a state of confusion. Is Liam worthy of sympathy or not?

"Despite ruining my life, I couldn't hate Liam but that doesn't mean I liked him like I used to. You're lucky to have Alex in your life and if only fate was written differently maybe I could have been the girl to heal Liam."

"He needs love but he doesn't know how to love."

Jacqueline was totally lost in the saga until she felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning around, she saw a crying Jennifer, standing in front of Chase.

"Oh my God. Where have you been?" She hugged her but realized she wasn't responding at all. All she did was crying.

"Jenny what happened?"